Soft Peanut Brittle

I’m no fan of hard candy. The crunching and sticking to my teeth aren’t appealing to me. So when I found this recipe for a soft peanut brittle I had to give it a try. It makes a lovely gift at holiday time, especially for those who shy away from hard candy for the above reasons. It is similar to the peanut butter center of a Butterfinger candy bar. I like peanuts and peanut butter so this more than satisfies my sweet tooth. Hope you like it too.

Soft Peanut Brittle

• 2 cups creamy peanut butter
  • 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup water plus 2 teaspoons, divided
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups peanuts, raw or roasted
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Generously butter a large cookie sheet. Set aside.

In a double boiler over hot water heat peanut butter till melted. Meanwhile prepare syrup in a large saucepan by combining sugar, corn syrup and 1/4 cup water. Cook over high heat to 275 degrees on a candy thermometer. Lower heat to medium, add butter and stir till melted. Add peanuts, cook, stirring about 5 minutes until candy starts to turn brown and reaches 300 degrees.

Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda that has been dissolved in remaining 2 teaspoons water. Add vanilla.

Working quickly, fold in warm peanut butter, stirring gently. At once pour candy mixture onto prepared cookie sheet. Quickly spread as thin as possible. The key word here is quickly.

When cold break into serving size portions.

Comments

1. Mary says

Cathy, peanut brittle is a favorite of Bobs. I’ll be making this very soon. Promise to get back to you and let you know how it turned out.

2. Lisa says

Looks nice, sounds wonderful! If it turns out like a Butterfinger candy bar it won’t last long around here. That is my son’s favorite!

3. Pam says

Oh, I am so glad I found this recipe. I want to do some baking for Christmas this year and this was on top of the list. Great post!

It is nice to meet fellow Oregonian food bloggers.

4. Cathy says

I’m munching on a piece of brittle and thinking how good it is so hope you give it a try. I’ve already given away little packages of it and the reviews are good. Thank you all for stopping by to visit.

5. Mari at Once Upon a Plate says

Cathy, this looks fabulous. You and I are in the same camp about hard, sticky candy.

I’m so happy you shared this recipe; I look forward to making it soon.

Another terrific photo, too! ~m.

6. HoneyB says

Hi Cathy! I found you thru Mari’s blog…

I am fortunate to have both my children close by. I know someday it may not be that way so I cherish every moment I do get to have with them. It is so hard when they grow up and don’t “need” us they way they did when they were little!

Great looking soup recipe. I will be bookmarking it as Grumpy and I both love Broccoli soup!

7. Suzy says

I found your blog by way of Mari at Once Upon a Plates blog..looks like you have started a domino of Soft Peanut Brittle. I just poured mine into the pan and have to say the house smells wonderful. I know I’m going to love it. I had to make one tiny change. I only had 1 1/2 cups of peanutbutter so added 1/2 cup of Nutella. Hopefully it will add to the Butterfinger effect!

8. Cathy says

Welcome Suzy and HoneyB. I’m so glad you stopped by. Adding Nutella to the brittle is a great idea. Please let me know how it turns out. You may be onto something big.

HoneyB – I hope Grumpy like the soup. It is good on a cold winter night. It’s hard to see our babies grow up. Good for them, painful for us.

Thank you so much, everyone, for your comments. Hope you visit again soon.

9. Proud Italian Cook says

I love this idea, what a great gift! I totally agree with you on the hard candy thing, although I haven’t had much luck with candy thermometers, you make me want to give it another try!

10. Suzy says

Just wanted to add that the Nutella addition turned out great. I guess I will have to make another batch (Darn!hehe) to see if it makes a difference in taste. But I have to say, it was pretty tasty with it. Great recipe and one I will make over and over again. Thanks for sharing.

11. Cathy says

Hi Suzy – Thanks for the update. I’m definitely going to try this. I love the idea of adding a little chocolate to the recipe.

12. A Feast for the Eyes says

One batch as gifts, one batch for me. I never thought I'd consider making peanut brittle. But, now I am!

13. Lisa says

I finally made this…and now I am suspecting a new reason why they call that stage “hard crack” on the candy thermometer. lol! I can’t stop eating it. Absolutely delicious!