Schnitzel with Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage

This is the kind of food I grew up on, what I love, what conjures up good memories of childhood and family gatherings around the dinner table. I like the smell of sauerkraut, the winter odor of the big earthenware crocks in the basement where I can still see my grandmother lifting the lids to check on the progress of the smelly cabbage. Schnitzel was a staple of our diet, usually made from veal, but now I use very tender, grass fed pork that I get from my neighbor at the farmer’s market. It doesn’t need any tenderizing, but I usually give it a whack or two to even the thickness so it cooks evenly.

I serve schnitzel with red cabbage, boiled or pan roasted new potatoes and homemade applesauce. It is never served with sauce or gravy, only several slices of lemon.

To Make Schnitzel, lightly pound veal or pork cutlets until they are an even thickness. Flour the cutlets, shake off excess, dip into beaten egg, and then into Panko bread crumbs. Let the cutlets air dry for about half and hour. Then fry in a heavy skillet on medium high heat in 1/2 inch of good vegetable oil until crispy, about 3 minutes on each side. Serve with lemon slices.

Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage
I got this recipe years ago from my friend Horst Mager, who owned The Rheinlander Restaurant in Portland.

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 large head red cabbage, cored and slices
  • 1 large apple, peeled and diced

In a large pot melt the butter. Saute the onion until translucent. Add the applesauce, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer. Add the cabbage and apple and toss to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook till the cabbage is tender.

Comments

1. Mary says

Cathy, your schnitzel looks wonderful. Are you able to buy veal in your area? I, too, have been using pork to make my cutlets. I use a jaccard to tenderize it and that works pretty well.

2. Cathy says

Hi Barbara and Mary – Thanks so much for stopping by.

Mary – Veal is very difficult to find. I’ve looked for breast of veal everywhere with no luck. Even from specialty meat companies. Whole Foods carries veal for cutlets but pork is good and less costly. In the summer try meat vendors at your farmer’s market.

3. Pam says

My husband loves sweet and sour red cabbage and I love Schnitzel. I need to make this meal – it looks fantastic..

4. Neas Nuttiness says

I just saw a recipe for a Hungarian Soup that has sauerkraut in it. It’s in a pile around here somewhere. When I find it, I’ll pass it along!

5. noble pig says

Wow, I love schnitzel! It’s been too long since I’ve had any though. Now I know what I’m making this weekend.

6. Denise in PA says

Thank you for this menu and the recipes! I am preparing the schnitzel and red cabbage for dinner tonight. The red cabbage is just about finished (I just tasted – it’s delicious!). I’ll serve it with buttered noodles. I can’t’ wait for dinner. Mmm mmmm!

7. Sue says

Hi Cathy….you reminded me that I have pork cutlets deep inside my freezer…I love red cabbage and have never made it from scratch before….red potatoes….check…homemade apple sauce…check…I have a bunch of Mutsu apples….Okay that will be dinner tomorrow….

8. Greg Anderson says

I've eaten the original, and ordered it every time I went into Portland to eat there in the early 70s. Wow. Good memories.

It was absolutely to die for, with the lentil soup, etc.

Thanks for the recipe. My wife will not believe this.

Just scored some perfectly thin veal at store , an over order for another customer , only $3.99 lb! have the red cabbage/apples already, look out schnitzel! Yummmmmmm