Chocolate, Caramel and Graham Cracker Toffee Cookies

A version of this recipe has been around forever, the one with soda crackers, and I’ve made it dozens of times. I was recently looking through my mother’s recipe files and found a handwritten version of the old recipe that calls for graham crackers instead of Saltines. If you’ve never made this before prepare yourself for a treat. It is so quick and easy, and amazingly delicious. You would never think that so few ingredients could produce such a good, rich, chewy, tasty cookie.

I challenge you to find anybody who doesn’t like this recipe. It’s a lighter version of English Toffee and pretty darn good. I have no idea where this version came from. Maybe my mom came up with it, maybe she saw it in the newspaper or got it from a friend. No matter…it is terrific.

Chocolate, Caramel and Graham Cracker Toffee Cookies

• 12 4-3/4 by 2-1/2 inch graham crackers
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • dash salt
  • 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
  • 1 cup nuts, chopped (I used hazelnuts but any nuts work great)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 15 x 10 inch baking sheet with foil, leaving a 2 inch overhand at each end. Line the pan with the graham crackers.

Melt butter in a medium size saucepan over low heat, then add brown sugar. Combine well and cook for 1 minute. Pour over the graham crackers, spreading evenly, and bake on the middle oven rack until golden brown and bubbly, 8-10 minutes.

Scatter chocolate chips (you could use butterscotch if you prefer) evenly over the crackers and return to the over for a minute until the chocolate is soft. Remove pan from the oven and, with an offset spatula, gently spread chocolate evenly over the crackers. Sprinkle the chocolate with chopped nuts and allow the crackers to cool for about 30 minutes before cutting into squares.

Comments

1. Cynthia says

Cathy, those look delicious and I’m sure I would love the recipe.

I used to work with a lady that would bring the saltine version to potlucks every year.

I think that the graham cracker version makes more sense. (And I loved the saltine version so I can only imagine how much better this one must be.)

I love looking through my mom’s old handwritten recipes. It’s very nostalgic.

2. Lisa says

What a great idea, to use graham crackers instead of saltines! I have the recipe for the saltine version written in the back of my aunt’s handwritten cookbook by my cousin. They are yummy but I have always been a fan of graham crackers so these may be even better. Thanks for the idea!

3. Neas Nuttiness says

I received some cookies like these, during the holidays. I couldn’t eat them because they had walnuts in them. I’m going to give this recipe a try, and use toasted pecans.

4. Cathy says

Its amazing how good these are. I couldn’t stay out of the tupperware container of them last night.

Thanks for visiting.

5. Kathleen says

Thanks, Cathy, it sounds great!
    I will save that recipe for when the gkids are here, I won’t be ablle to stop myself from eating them!

6. Jodi says

These look great. I think I like the idea of graham crackers rather than the Saltines. I also love that you used hazelnuts!

7. once in a blue moon... says

omg i better call the dentist right now, my teeth will be falling out, then schedule the bypass…

looking GOOD!!! too good…

8. Carolyn says

Wow!!! I made the carrot bread and it took me back 30 years. I had forgotten how good it was. Bob also loved it. Thanks Mom :)

9. Cathy says

Hi Everyone – My daughter came to visit today. Hurray.

I’m so happy you and Bob enjoyed this cake. You loved it when you were a little girl.

Come back again. Love you too.

10. Natalie J Vandenberghe says

I’m so glad you posted this recipe! I’ve made the one with Saltines a few times before and it’s good. A few months ago, I was trying to find a recipe like this one (because I had graham crackers I wanted to use up), but I wasn’t able to find the recipe. I knew there was a recipe like this; in fact, I think I had made it before (how I couldn’t find it when I wanted it–IDK!) anyway, now I’ll need to go buy a new box of graham crackers. Thanks for sharing.