Thai Crab Fried Rice

Photobucket

Fried rice is a terrific way to use left over steamed rice. You can make a little or a lot, add more veggies, use shrimp instead of crab, or add chicken or no meat at all. Sometimes I garnish with a little chopped cilantro and peanuts. Keep this easy rice dish in mind this summer when you are looking for something to serve with grilled chicken or flank steak.

Thai Crab Fried Rice

• 2 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 4 ounces or more Dungeness crabmeat
  • salt to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Mix together the fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.

Add 1/4 cup vegetable oil to a large wok or fry pan and heat until it just begins to smoke. Add peas, carrots, green onions and ginger and cook for about one minute, stirring so it doesn’t burn. Add rice and lightly mix, then add liquid mixture and blend well. Fry for 4-5 minutes, watching that the rice doesn’t burn.

Make a well in the middle of the rice and pour in the beaten eggs. Wait for about 30 seconds and then cover the eggs with rice. Leave for another 30 seconds and then continue to stir fry until the eggs are cooked and are mixed well with the rice. Remove from heat and gently stir in the crabmeat, garnish with chopped parsley and serve with lime slices.

Photobucket

Another wonderful Foodie Friday event at Designs by Gollum. Go on over for a visit to see who is participating this week. And please join in the fun. Everybody’s invited.

Comments

1. Kathleen says

You are the early bird, Cathy!
    I do make pork fried rice often, great way to use up leftovers, but never tried crab.
    It looks delicious! Thank you for the recipe!

2. The Japanese Redneck says

Hey, I’m having fried rice for lunch. Not as pretty looking as yours and with no crab (which I love).

But, it has fresh laid eggs (from our hens), green onions from our garden, cubed up ham and leftover brown rice.

Yours looks good, trade you.

3. Mary says

I have never had fried rice with crab. Your recipe has opened my mind (and my mouth) to a host of new possibilites. I really like this one, Cathy. Thanks.

4. Mari at Once Upon a Plate says

Hi Cathy! Oh my, fried rice is a favorite here ~ in fact I usually plan on extra steamed rice for the specific purpose of making fried rice with the leftovers.

I’ve never made it with Thai flavors though, and now I’m really looking forward to trying it this way. Thank you so much for sharing thre recipe! xo~m.

5. Cathy says

Good Morning – thanks for stopping by so bright and early.

My vendor-neighbor at my farmer’s market makes and sells Thai food. She gave me this recipe for sauce. You can always spice it up a bit if you prefer.

Hi JR – I wish we could trade a bowl. I’ve never made this with brown rice. I’ll bet its delish.

6. Chocolate Shavings says

Fried rice is wonderful way to use leftover rice. Yours looks delicious, especially with the crab!

7. Lori (All That Splatters) says

I love the flavors you put together in this fried rice dish. I will be making this and soon!! Your photos are beautiful!

8. teresa says

Hi, I just found your blog, and you’ve got some BEAUTIFUL recipes here! I’m not in the NW, I’m actually on the other side of the country, but I have a brother living in OR, and he loves it.

9. Nancy Jane says

Looks heavenly! Crab is my favorite seafood, so unfortunately there are never any leftovers. I’ll have to designate a few specifically for this recipe! Have a Happy Easter…Nancy

10. Acorn Cottage says

Oh Cathy! This looks so delicious. I LOVE Thai food, and can’t wait to try this! Thanks for doing such a great job cooking and sharing your wonderful recipes!
    Hope you have a wonderful Easter weekend with your family!

XO Nancy

11. imjacobsmom says

I AM going to make this. It sound wonderful! I adore Fried Rice and your’s sounds so good. ~ Robyn

12. SusanQ says

That sounds wonderful! I love the last shot with the slice of lime balance on the chopsticks.

Wishing you a wonderful trip :)

13. Katherine Aucoin says

Your crab fried rice looks so elegant. I’d love to try and make this and more imporantly, I’d love to taste it!

14. Lisa says

I can’t wait for a lasting spring to get here. I will tuck this recipe away and hope that I remember when the weather warms up again! Then again, why wait? You do have a wonderful way with crab.

15. Donna-FFW says

This looks fantastic. I am going to do as you suggested and save for the grilling season to serve as a side dish.. MMM, I can almost taste the flavors.. maybe I wont wait that long.

16. Foley says

Now this is something I would have quite often!! Everything about it sounds so yummy. Love the bowls too…

17. Suzy says

This looks great. I often have leftover rice and sure could use a recipe like this to use it up! I am keeping this one in the to try file for sure. Thanks for sharing!

18. Kathleen (One Tree Past The Fence) says

I’m not even out of bed and I’m hungry….who needs bacon and eggs,
    I’ll have your Thai Fried Rice pls n thnx!

: )

19. Mid-Atlantic Martha says

ummmmm! this looks wonderful – I’ve never tried to make Thai food – but I really like it!

20. Ann Swift says

Made this tonight. Only had 1/2 of the leftover rice; doubled the crab; added 1/4 c chopped onion with aromatics. Added 1 pint cherry tomatoes halfed with the crab. Fantastic! Also added 1 Tbsp Sambal paste for heat in the sauce. Hubby, soon to be Chubby, had 2 servings!