Swiss Ham and Asparagus Roll-ups

Easter is one of my favorite holidays. Spring is in the air, days are longer, flowering trees are explosions of color in the landscape, families get together, children are eager to hunt for colored eggs, and spirits are uplifted.

My grandson, Cody, got a face painting kit in his Easter basket and brought it along with him to my house for bunch. It was an instant hit and all the little ones ( and several bigger kids) got into the act and painted each other’s faces with outlines of bunnies and Easter eggs. Adorable and heartwarming for a mom and grandmother to watch.

Brunch was delicious. I prepared everything ahead so all I had to do was heat the casserole for 30 minutes and we were ready to be seated. I managed to get several photos of my main dish before guests arrived but knew it would be hopeless to get a picture when it came out of the oven because everybody would be chomping at the bit to begin our meal and I would most likely forget. Which I did. You can, at least, see how this is put together and how pretty and appetizing it is. Very easy to double or triple and leftovers are delish.

Swiss Ham and Asparagus Roll-Ups

• 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
  • 1-1/2 cup cooked rice
  • 8 slices good cooked ham, sliced thick enough to hold together when rolled
  • 24-32 fresh asparagus spears, roasted and cooled
  • 1 cup swiss cheese to spread on top of sauce

In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour, nutmeg and salt. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Stir in milk and cook, stirring until thickened. Add 1 cup swiss cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Blend 3/4 cup sauce into the cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper.

Spread equal amounts of rice mixture on ham slices. Top with 3 or 4 asparagus spears, roll ham around the filling and secure with toothpicks if necessary.

Arrange rolls in shallow baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over rolls and top with 1 cup grated swiss cheese. Cover dish with foil for the first 15 minutes of baking. Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly and heated through, about 25-30 minutes.

Comments

1. Mary says

Cathy, your rolls look wonderful. I can imagine what fun will be had with that face painting kit. I hope you had a wonderful holiday.

2. burpandslurp says

these look soooo delicious! loving all the cheese! I’ll bet even my veggie-hatng brother will gobble this up!

3. Cathy says

Hi Ladies – I hope you all had a lovely Easter too.

I have several family members who don’t care for veggies (can you imagine!) so made a pan of these ham roll-ups with just the rice mixtures. They loved them.

4. Neas Nuttiness says

I want to thank you for “sending me” to Schnitzel (did I spell that right?)and Trout. Susan just lives about 5 miles from my old house in Lakeland!

5. Lori (All That Splatters) says

Cathy, this looks great. It includes many of my favorite flavors, so it will be on the menu soon! Yum!

6. Lynda says

This looks so delicious Cathy! I’ve been looking for more ways to fix asparagus so I’ll try this for sure!

7. SusanQ says

This sounds wonderful, Cathy. When family comes over it’s nice to have something delicious and easy to prepare. Thank you!

8. Lo says

What a timely recipe, Cathy — with all that leftover Easter ham and spring asparagus about. This is just about perfect!

9. Rosabela says

Oh oh oh! This looks absolutely wonderful! I also forget to take pictures once the dish is done and ready to serve. I can only think of eating it. :-)

10. Jamie says

So yummy! The French do something similar with ham and endives with bechamel and cheese, but I love this with asparagus! That final dish looks scrumptious!