Happy Mother’s Day

Monet’s Garden

and His Home in Giverny

I’ve been asked many times in the last few days about my trip and what I enjoyed most. I don’t know how to narrow down the list because I loved everything. Even the Metro was a huge challenge, but my amazing daughter figured it out and got us everywhere we wanted to go. We never cabbed it except when we had to be at the train station at 7:00 am for our trip to Belgium. We would have done fine on the subway but, me being the worry wart that I am, opted for a cab so neither of us would stress out before the next leg of our trip.

We wanted to take one day trip out of Paris and, although Versailles was our original choice, we decided on Giverny because we were told that the lilacs and wisteria were in bloom in addition to azaleas, rhoddies, bulbs and early perennials. I’m sure I will return to Paris one day but maybe never at this time of year and I didn’t want to miss the Spring show. Breathtaking is the only word that suits the scene.

I’ll show you more photos of the grounds in a future post. We weren’t allowed to photograph the interior of his home which was disappointing because it was so interesting and beautiful. The little town of Giverny was right out of a picture book of the nineteenth century.

Happiest Mother’s Days wishes to all the moms, daughters, aunts, sisters, friends and neighbors in bloggie land. May all our lives be blessed.

Comments

1. Susan says

Happy Mother’s Day, to you! Monet’s garden is absolutely breathtaking and you were there! That is a wonderful picture.

2. Mary says

What a thrill to see the gardens in springtime before they’re overgrown. I suspect the real Mother’s Day was the 2 weeks you spent traveling with your daughter, but in case I’m wrong enjoy today. Hugs.

3. Barbara Bakes says

Happy Mother’s Day! How fun to travel with your daughter. I’d love to visit Giverny someday.

4. Foley says

Love the photo of Monet’s garden..can’t wait to see more of your photos! I’ll have to dig through my photos to see how things have changed since the 1971!

5. Cathy says

Hi Everyone – Thanks for stopping by. I’m thrilled to be able to share photos and stories with you.

You are so right, Mary. The two weeks with my daughter was a gift of a lifetime, the perfect Mother’s Day.

I would love to see your photos, Foley. I don’t imagine the gardens have changed a lot but would certainly look different at another time of year.

6. Rosabela says

Hi Cathy,
    I hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day! I think Monet’s Garden must be the most beautiful garden I have ever seen. Absolutely breathtaking.

Looking forward to reading more about your trip. :-)

7. Jamie says

Happy Mother’s Day!

I have lived in France for over 20 years and only visited Monet’s house and garden once, but it was a gorgeous day, everything was in bloom and it was absolutely magnificent!

ps let me know next time you are in Paris!

8. La Table De Nana says

What memories you brought home!!

That’s one garden I would love to see:)
    I hope you had a great day!

9. Lori (All That Splatters) says

Gorgeous, Cathy! I love that you went to France with your daughter – I would love to do that, too.

I’m loving all of your photos and can’t wait to see more. Hope your day was wonderful!

10. Mari at Once Upon a Plate says

Welcome home Cathy~ you’ve been missed very much! I’m so happy you had such a memorable time.

What a lovely, lovely post~ I hope your Mother’s Day was perfect, too.

I owe you an email ~ (house guests are here), but I’ll be in touch soon. I have lots of catching up to do. It’s wonderful to have you back and blogging. :) xo~m.

11. Sue says

Hi Cathy…..so happy to see you made it out to Giverney..it is more beautiful this time of year then when we were there…Your first picture is wonderful…I hope your going to be posting more pictures of it….glad you had such a wonderful time….But was there a trip to a cooking shop? What goodies did you bring back…

12. Suzy says

Definitely a dream of mine to be at Monet’s garden when it looks like that!!! Wisteria is a sentimental favorite with me and there is must just be surreal. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing more of your trip and especially Monet’s garden!

13. once in a blue moon... says

oh i am just getting caught up with you, this took my breath away… your trip must have been heaven!

14. My Carolina Kitchen says

How wonderful to be able to visit Monet's home. I would love to go sometime when we're in France. Thanks for sharing this special place with us. I have a book about his food and kitchen that you would like.
    Sam