The Classic Waldorf Salad

Waldorf Salad
is a simple, classic  salad that first appeared on the menu of The Waldorf Astoria Hotel
in New York in the early 1890′s and has been an
 all-American favorite ever since. The original version consisted of
apples and celery in a lemon mayo dressing.
Today’s version of this yummy salad is easy to make – you don’t need a recipe.
Just combine apples, celery, red grapes (raisins work well if grapes aren’t available)
and toasted walnuts in quantities that suit your taste.
Mix together a little fresh lemon juice and mayo and combine all ingredients
just before serving.
I chose Honeycrisp apples because they are sweet and crisp, with an intense apple flavor,
and pair up perfectly with juicy red grapes.  Celery and toasted walnuts add a nice crunch,
and the slightly bitter flavor of the nuts is perfect with the sweetness of the apples and grapes.
I add a nice pinch of sea salt and a few grinds of black pepper to the lemon mayo dressing.
You won’t believe how this brings out the flavors of the salad.
Maintaining a healthy diet is so easy to do when we include
fresh salads like this one.  And I love recipes like this because
I can make a family sized salad or a serving for one in just minutes.
Bon Appetit!
Hand painted Vietri plates, circa 1980

Comments

1. Kate says

Great plates! I love how easy this salad goes together. I especially love the crunch of the fresh ingredients! Yum.

2. nancy@skinnykitchen.com says

I love Waldorf Salads…Yours looks really good. I also make one but use a skinny home made blue cheese dressing to top it with.

3. Yvonne @ StoneGable says

This is such a pretty salad. I haven't made one yet this fall. THanks for the reminder.
    Appreciate the history lesson. It is so much fun to know where food comes from!
    What lovely plates! Perfect for your Waldorf salad.
    And thanks for the suggestion on the apple. Choosing the right one makes all the difference!!!!
    I'm going to add this salad to my soup bar on Saturday.
    Yvonne

4. From the Kitchen says

My grandmother used to take me, as a child, to tea at Miller and Rhodes Tearoom. We usually had a plate of small sandwiches surrounding their Waldorf salad. I haven't made this salad in years but will–using the honey crisp apples.

5. Carol at Serendipity says

Wonderful salad. I have all the ingredients so I will be making it soon. I love the plates. Vietri is one of my favorites.

Carol

6. My Little Space says

My goodness, the plates are beauuuuutiful! And the salad photo is excellence! Cathy, how I wish I can have some right now. Yummm…. Thanks and hope you're enjoying your day.
    Cheers, kristy

7. Mary says

Waldorf Salad is one of the delights of fall. It always was part of my childhood Thanksgiving celebrations and it has a special place in my memory. I hope all is well and that you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

This was a regular when I was growing up. My mum was a nurse and far more interested in nutrition than any of the mums of my friends. I haven't made it for quite some time, but this is certainly a good time of year for it!

9. Vickie says

I love Waldorf salad, but have never added grapes – what a great addition! Also, be sure to grate a little lemon zest in your salad. The difference is amazing. Beautiful plates!

10. Big Dude says

I really like this but we never seem to have it, and I know Bev likes it also – too many good things to try, too few meals.

11. Lori (All That Splatters) says

Cathy, you took me home!! :D My mother made Waldorf Salad often, especially in the winter months, and I love it to this day. Instead of grapes or raisins, Mom would use chopped dates – a really tasty addition. Recently, she's been experimenting with adding some finely minced jalapeno to the salad. It gives it a little bit of a bite that she and my dad really love. I have to admit, it is good – but I love her original – makes me think of my childhood!

I adore your Vietri dishes. They are gorgeous!

12. Kathleen says

I had to wait till after .A plain old ham sandwich wouldn't cut it if I saw this first! Looks so fresh and crisp!
    And the plates? I love them!

13. Red Nomad OZ says

Hi Cathy! It's not just an All American favourite – but one that's also happily made and eaten in Australia!!

Happy travels

14. Gail @ Faithfulness Farm says

A favorite for sure!! I also like to put grilled chicken breast in for a Chicken Waldorf Salad…YUM!!

Those apple plates are great :)

Blessings!
    Gail

15. SavoringTime in the Kitchen says

This is a delicious classic! I love a crunchy salad that is sweet and savory. What adorable plates to serve it on!

16. The Quintessential Magpie says

That looks wonderful, Cathy, and what cute, cute plates! ALso, you take the BEST photos in addition to knowing how to really cook. You are my hero!

XO,

Sheila :-)

17. Cindy says

That looks delicious! I always wondered about its name… thanks for the history info. Gotta love those Honeycrisps.

18. Marilyn says

Cute apple plates. I love your Waldorf salad, it sounds much better that what I remember from my mom making it. I just try it one of these days. Also love your pumpkin header.

19. Raina says

That really looks good. I have heard of this before but never actually tasted it. You are right this is a great way to eat healthy.

I was just thinking; I bet that would be good with some chicken in it. It think that might be one darn good chicken salad too:)

20. A Feast for the Eyes says

I need to make a trip to our apple farm. I haven't made a Waldorf in ages. I'm so glad you inspired me to do that. The dishes are great!

21. Diana (Di) says

We just picked apples from our trees… Waldorf salad tonight! Thanks Cathy; I don't know why I don't think of this more often.

22. Suzy says

I love waldorf salad. And I love your plates too!!! Too cute. Thanks for stopping by my blog today :-) Does your market go through October?

23. theUngourmet says

First of all, I have to tell you that I love the new header. What a great photo!

I haven't had Waldorf salad in ages! I love your plates, they are just darling!

24. Foodessa says

Cathy…after the Red-Free apple…Honeycrisp is certainly in my top 5…I just finished polishing one off this morning ;o)

Love those dishes, really charming and perfect to go with that Waldorf delicacy.

Ciao for now and have a great weekend,
    Claudia

25. Barbara says

My mother's favorite salad, Cathy. So I had it often growing up. And yes, after we had moved out, she often made a single serving for herself.

I don't think I've ever seen a more striking photo of a Waldorf Salad. Those colors on that exquisite plate!!

Love your pumpkin header!

26. Rettabug says

Fantastic colors in the delicious looking salad…one of my favorites & I WISH I could remember to make it more often. :/

I ♥ your autumn header & of course, those darling & funny plates!!! Very, very pretty!

27. Chef Aimee says

Oh those plates made me giggle out loud! I love Waldorf salad and its usually the first course at my family's Thanksgiving dinner.

28. Martha (MM) says

I still make this wonderful classic too every once in a while – delicious! Love your vintage plates too. Have a wonderful weekend :-)

29. Jamie says

Beautiful, fun plates and perfect for this delicious salad. I'm trying to remember if I have ever even eaten a Waldorf Salad! I keep thinking of the Fawlty Tower episode when a client requests one and Basil has no idea what it is but won't admit it. I love all the flavors and textures blended like this.

30. Pam says

Waldorf salad is the best! If only I could convince hubby of that. Mom used to make it often and I do now and then just for myself. Nuts were not in the recipe until the early 1900's and I always add them. Your salad looks delicious and I love the vintage plates. They made me chuckle!

31. Cass @ That Old House says

Oh this brings back childhood memories! My Mom didn't put grapes or raisins in but otherwise? Just the same!
    It's a salad even children love!
    Cass

32. Karen says

Love those little plates! I haven't made Waldorf Salad in way too long. Apples are going on my shopping list today :)