Maple-Nut Coffeecake Twist

There’s nothing like the aroma of bread baking in the oven and a fresh pot of coffee
 brewing on the counter to get the day off to a good start.
 Especially if that day is one of celebration for all the blessings of life and for dear family and friends.
 I wish I could share a steaming cup of coffee and a slice of warm coffee cake with you on this
 Thanksgiving day.  We will have to settle for good wishes for a very
 Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

This coffee cake was a prize winner in the 1969 20th annual Pillsbury Bake-Off.  The original recipe called for Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix but I substituted an easy yeast dough instead.  This is an impressive coffee cake that looks like it came from a fancy pastry shop and the delicious maple flavor reminds me of warm maple bars. If that isn’t enough to get you to try this recipe I don’t know what is.

Maple-Nut Coffee Twist

Dough:
2 packages dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup milk, scalded
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon maple extract
1 unbeaten egg
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
Soften yeast in warm water.  In a large mixing bowl combine the scalded milk, sugar, butter, salt and vanilla.  Cool to lukewarm.  Blend in egg and softened yeast..
Gradually add the four to make a soft dough.  Beat well.   Form into a ball, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1-1/2 hours.
Filling:
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon maple flavoring
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Combine all ingredients.
Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, flavoring and milk till smooth.  Add a bit more milk if necessary until frosting is thin enough to drizzle over the coffee cake.
After dough has risen divide into 3 equal balls. On lightly floured surface roll out one ball of dough to a 10 inch circle.  Fit onto the bottom of a greased 10-12 inch pizza pan or large cookie sheet.  Brush dough with 2 tablespoons melted butter and sprinkle with 1/3 of the filling.  Continue in same manner, forming 2 more layers and ending with the filling.  Use a glass to mark a 2 inch circle in the center of the dough (do not cut through the dough).  Cut from outside edge to circle forming 16 pie-shaped wedges.  Twist each of the 3-layered wedges 5 times.  Let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.  Drizzle with glaze while still warm.
Pictured on the cover of the 1969  ”100 Bake-Off Recipes” are Magic Marshmallow Crescent Puffs, one of the most viewed recipes I’ve posted on my blog.   These old winners are still favorites today.  I bought a dozen old Bake-Off books on e-bay several years ago and love looking back through them when I want some nostalgic comfort food.

Comments

1. Rosabela says

This sounds like an amazing recipe! I'm book marking it so I can make it real soon. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

2. From the Kitchen says

Honestly, if I had some maple flavoring in the house, I'd be tempted to make these now–yes, I've been tempted enough by some yeast sweet breads to start them late and spend the night "tending" them.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with those near and dear to you!

3. Linda says

Cathy…this looks spectacular!
    What a great thing to serve for breakfast during the holidays…just gorgeous! I wish i could have a piece right now!
    I wish you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving!

4. Jeannie says

What a lovely bread indeed, I love the swirls you've created for this bread…Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Cathy:D

5. Happier Than a Pig in Mud says

Cathy, what a special breakfast treat! It's just beautiful! Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving-enjoy:@)

6. EliFla says

This is a wonderful recipe…I' m going to copy it!!!

MAy you have a wonderful Thanksgiving…tomorrow…with your family and friends…xoxoxoxoxo, ciao Flavia

7. La Table De Nana says

Outstanding..Just a hot roll mix would do too?

I think I would make yours..

This would be so pretty on any holiday table..Beautiful.

8. Diana (Di) says

Cathy, that coffee twist is absolutely beautiful… artistry indeed.

We hope you and your family have a blessed Thanksgiving… and stay off the roads. ;)

9. My Kitchen in the Rockies says

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.
    The cake is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I would have time to bake today. This cake would be on the list!

10. Rettabug says

Ooooo, you had me at MAPLE, Cathy! My MOST favorite flavor…well, besides, lemon…and chocolate…and LOL

I definitely will try this one. I recently bought ONE Pillsbury Bake Off (at first I typed "BACK OFF) LOL It has my cherry crumble squares in it. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention CHERRY is ALSO a favorite???!!

11. Mary says

What a lovely recipe, Cathy. It would be perfect for breakfast on Thanksgiving Day. I hope you and all you love have a wonderful holiday. Blessings…Mary

12. Lisa says

That is a work of art! It sounds so good too. I love the flavor of maple in autumn treats. I also appreciate your simple dough recipe. I have some recipes that call for that Hot Roll Mix too and I can't always find it. I'd rather make my own anyway.

Thanks for the great idea.

Happy Thanksgiving!

13. Pattie @ Olla-Podrida says

This is BEAUTIFUL! How funny, but I was going through the cabinets just yesterday and I came across a bunch of cookbooks, this one among them. Some of them go back to the 40s. What treasures these are. I should try a recipe a month out of these gems.

14. Foodessa says

Your talents in the kitchen certainly turned out quite the stunning coffee cake. Seems like so much love went into it.

Happy Thanksgiving Cathy ;o)

Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

15. Raina says

I would love to share this coffee cake and a nice cup of coffee with you. It looks so delicious. Not sure I could get to look as good as you did, though.

Have a very happy Thanksgiving!

16. SavoringTime in the Kitchen says

Some oldies are the best goodies! These sounds wonderful, Cathy, and you photoed them beautifully!

Happy Thanksgiving, to you and your family!

17. Proud Italian Cook says

Oh you're tempting me Cathy! This looks outstanding. You can't get much better than a piece of this with a steaming hot cup of coffee!

18. A Feast for the Eyes says

Happy Thanksgiving Cathy. I'm so looking forward to four days at home with my husband. Baking. Cooking. Snuggling. How I've missed that!

19. Lea Ann says

Happy Thanksgiving. I'm drinking my morning coffee and would love to have some of this coffee cake and it's aromas in this house.

20. My Little Space says

Cathy, I love this coffee bread. Looks amazing!
    Thanks for sharing & hope you're having a wonderful thanksgiving.
    Blessings, Kristy

21. Kathleen says

Everything you make looks like it came from a Pastry Shop! Just beautiful, and I am sure delicious!
    I hope you had a wonderful day yesterday and can have some time to relax today!

22. Becky says

Cathy, I used to bake Maple Nut Coffee Twist all the time. Well, maybe not all the time, but many times. I'll bet I haven't done one in 20 years. Thanks for the reminder! Yours looks beautiful.

23. gnee @ Singing With Birds says

Cathy,

What a beautiful presentation and with your directions it looks easy to do. Our family is gathering for an old-fashioned Christmas at a mountain cabin and I know this would be a big hit for breakfast. Have you frozen one before hand and then rewarmed it just before serving, or frozen one, prior to rising? I will have a professional confection oven to bake in and would love to make your winner! Thanks for passing it along.

24. My Carolina Kitchen says

I totally agree – it does look like it came from a pastry shop and is very classy. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Sam

25. theUngourmet says

I love the maple flavor in this. What a nice pastry for special occasions…or anytime. Yum! I could go for some of this with my coffee right now. Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!

26. Jamie says

Oh Cathy I am so making this! Stunningly beautiful and perfect! Hope you had a fabulous Thanksgiving! Thinking of you. And now licking the screen (sorry to be crude but this coffee cake is amazing)!

27. Ciao Chow Linda says

What a perfectly perfect sweet bread you've made. It looks like it's right off the pages of a food magazine. Your photos are so professional looking you could have a career as a photographer.