Greek Salad on Grilled Pita Bread

No recipe is needed for this quick, easy and delicious salad.   I started with homemade no pocket pita bread

purchased from a vendor at the farmers’ market, grilled it, and topped it with bits of ingredients that I always have in the fridge.

The hot pita absorbs the dressing easily and it becomes one of the most flavorful elements in this dish.

Add fresh greens, arugula is  my favorite, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion,  Greek olives, crumbled feta and toasted pine nuts and you have the

perfect summer meal.  I added slices of leftover grilled steak, but shrimp, chicken or lamb would be delicious too.

I would add a scoop of hummus if I had it, but it is hearty and flavorful enough without it.

A simple vinaigrette  whisked up with fresh chopped oregano, mint and cracked pepper is all the dressing this salad needs.

I used sliced chicken breast instead of steak in this version of an open faced pita sandwich.

I added that scoop of hummus and one of tzatziki sauce and used the same simple dressing.

I promise, it tastes as good as it looks.

Comments

1. Bonnie says

This does make a very nice salad. Sometimes I use naan instead of the pita and just saw a new array of the Indian bread at my local grocer. I’m waiting for homegrown tomatoes and cucumbers around here. We had a delicious pizza at a restaurant in Berkeley that had fresh arugula scattered atop while still hot from the oven. It semi-wilted the green and brought out the peppery flavor. Can’t wait to try it.

Bonnie recently posted..The Cows and "The Birds"My Profile

2. Rita says

I was trying to figure out what was on your salad and realized it was steak. Love to get fesh new ideas for summer meals and these are very attractive.

3. Foodiewife says

I love the colors of this salad. I just love the way you photograph food. Your recipes could be on food calendars. This is one of my favorite salads.

4. Pam says

We have hot weather coming this weekend and this recipe is perfect for it! It not only tastes good, I’m sure; it is beautiful also with the variety of colors!

5. Rettabug says

Dang Woman….everything you post makes me hungry!! This looks soooo good with all the elements & flavors of my recent Greek pasta salad only MORE!
    I intend to try the vinegar chicken you posted recently for tomorrow nights meal. You keep me cooking & learning & trying new recipes all the time & for that both DH & I are grateful.

Happy 4th!!
    fondly,
    Rett

Thanks for encouraging me to plant those hydrangeas. I sure hope they take!!
    Rettabug recently posted..Tea Cozy for ME!My Profile

6. Diana says

Cathy, that is “mouth-watering-I-think-I-need-to-make-that-now” photo. What a great idea, and to think we have some left over tri-tip from yesterday’s dinner. PS: It appears we may have some wonderful weekend weather. Enjoy!
    Diana recently posted..Capture the Morning’s GardenMy Profile