Raspberry Jam Corn Muffins

I can truthfully say that I have never been disappointed in one of Ina Garten’s recipes.  Sometimes I may tweak one a little bit, but basically I love her cooking style.  If I had to trim my cookbook library down to one author it’s her books I would keep. Instructions are clearly written, my family loves every recipe,  photography is wonderful, cooking tips are always useful, and I love the stories about her and Jeffrey’s life together. He treats every meal  she prepares for him as if it is the best one he ever tasted. Wouldn’t THAT be wonderful???

One of the few Ina recipes I hadn’t tried was for Raspberry Corn Muffins.  I don’t know how it slipped through the cracks because I’ve been looking at the delicious photo and glancing over the recipe since The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook came out in 2001.  Cornbread is one of my favorite sides for barbecue and I thought the bit of raspberry jam on top would make a perfect breakfast muffin as well as one suited to some rib sticking brisket and chicken. These muffins have a wonderful corn flavor and are moist and hearty.  They are a bit crumbly so if you like a dab of butter on your cornbread make sure the butter is on the soft side.   I bought a medium grind corn meal that the recipe calls for at Bob’s Red Mill, a fantastic Portland company with a retail store that carries just about anything you could ever want in freshly milled grains and baking supplies. If you aren’t familiar with this amazing company I urge to visit their site and check out the products they carry.

We gave these corn muffins very high marks for flavor and texture but thought the corn meal was a little too crunchy, or al dente as my sister commented, so next time I will use a finer grind.   You can leave out the raspberry jam if you think you won’t like it,  but the top half of the muffin with the jam is what we all gobbled up first. But it’s your choice.

5.0 from 1 reviews
Raspberry Jam Corn Muffins

• 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup medium cornmeal
  • 2 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 2 extra-large eggs
  • ¾ cup good raspberry preserves
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Line 12 large muffin cups with paper liners. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, melted butter and eggs. With the mixer on the lowest speed, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and stir until they are just blended. Spoon the batter into the paper liners, filling each one to the top. Bake for 30 minutes, until the tops are crisp and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly and remove from the pan.
  3. After the muffins cool, spoon the raspberry preserves into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Push the tip of the bag through the top of the muffin and squeeze 1 to 2 tablespoons of preserves into the middle. Repeat for each muffin.
Notes
Before I put the tip into the pastry bag I gently pressed the small end into the top of the muffin and removed a bit of cornbread. This made more room for the jam filling.

Use the tip of the pastry tube before you put it into the bag to remove a bit of the muffin so there is more room for the raspberry jam.  Just push gently down on the small end of the tip, twist lightly and remove a small bit of muffin.

Photo Courtesy of What's Cooking America

Raspberries are at their peak right now and can be found in all the farmers’ markets around the state.

For a recipe for Raspberry Creme Brulee and other wonderful raspberry treats

visit my friend Linda at What’s Cooking America.

Comments

1. Rettabug says

How PRETTY! I ♥ cornbread but DH always complains its too dry for him. I bet the jam would help to convince him otherwise. I can buy Bob’s Red Mill products here so I will look to see if they carry a fine ground cornmeal. If not, I may just use a box of Jiffy mix, ‘cus I’m dying to taste one with jam inside. LOL
    Rettabug recently posted..Flag Tray from Sur La TableMy Profile

I love my cornbread with molasses, so I’d probably leave off the jam and just enjoy the lovely muffin surface – so good for keeping hold as I slather on butter and molasses.
    I agree with you about Ina’s books – they are all keepers.

3. Barbara says

Well, that’s strange. I love her cornbread, have made it dozens of times. Have never made these, however. Is it because it’s in muffin form do you think?

4. Foodiewife says

I agree with you, Cathy. Ina is one of my favorite cookbook authors. Her recipes are “real”; not too complicated, but many times very inspiring. I keep forgetting how easy corn muffins are to make (who needs Jif mix?) Thanks for pointing out this recipe, as I’ve missed it– and I have her cookbook collection.
    Foodiewife recently posted..Cherry & Apricot Crostata with a Ricotta FillingMy Profile

5. Happier Than A Pig in Mud says

Great pics Cathy! Love cornbread but I’ve never tried it with jam. As a matter of fact, while I make a lot of jams I never tried raspberry-looks great:@)

6. Jeannie says

The muffins have all the colors of summer on them….really gorgeous…I have tried cornmeal muffins before and do find them a bit crumbly but was delicious with a dollop of butter like you said:) Hope you have a good week ahead.

7. Jamie says

The muffins are beautiful and really, even without reading your description just the picture would have me wanting to make them. Everyone who bakes Ina’s recipes only have brilliant things to say about them (and her) so I really need to get one of her cookbooks. I love corn bread too, and I do think the addition of the jam would add a fabulous flavor complement. Great recipe, Cathy! (here in France, I sadly have much trouble finding finer grain cornmeal thus have stopped making cornbread completely but I do so want to try these)

8. ciaochowlinda says

I too really love her recipes, but also the way she and her husband interact. It seems like they truly “LIKE” each other, not to mention “love” each other. This recipe is a good way to use up some of the dozens of jams in my fridge.
    ciaochowlinda recently posted..Pecorino Canestrato CheeseMy Profile

9. Yvonne @ StoneGable says

Beautiful recipe! What a great idea. I always eat my cornbread with jam. And these pretty little jeweled muffins look divine… jam included.
    I am having a housefull over the weekend, and Bobby is smoking a beef brisket. I’m making these wonderful cornbread muffins to to with our smokey barbecue!
    Thanks for the yumminess!
    Yvonne

10. Rita says

I also am a big fan of Ina; her recipes are very user friendly. I bought myself the cutest mini pans that I know would make perfect corn muffins. I have never made any and here you have a tried and tested one. Thank you Cathie.

11. Mary says

I couldn’t agree with you more – she is so lovely and her cooking is wonderful – If I had to choose between her books and all my others – she would win hands down. Your muffins look delicious!
    Mary:)
    Mary recently posted..Stuffed ArtichokesMy Profile

12. JG says

This really brings back memories for me. Years ago I’d add the jam before baking – batter, a little jam in center and top with batter. My sons had a surprise when they bit into the muffin. Thank you for reminding me. :)
    ~Judy
    JG recently posted..Raisin Zucchini MuffinsMy Profile

13. My Carolina Kitchen says

I’ve never been disappointed in Ina’s recipes either. Love your photo of Ina and Jeffrey. They are about the same age as my husband and myself and we’ve been married about the same length of time. For me that makes them as a couple all the more special.

Love your muffins with the raspberries. A match made in heaven, just like Ina and Jeffrey.
    Sam
    My Carolina Kitchen recently posted..A Peek Inside of Benton’s Smoky Mountain Country Hams in Madisonville, TennesseeMy Profile

14. vincent says

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,