Chicken Vesuvio ~ Chicago Style

Several times a year I fly to Chicago to visit my oldest daughter and her family. I miss them all so much and can’t wait for my visits to roll around so I can see my grandchildren, my great-grandson, and my sweet daughter and son-in-law. We all are true foodies and when I am there they take me to wonderful restaurants, delicatessens and amazing markets.  It’s overwhelming to see an entire grocery store devoted to Italian or Polish food, and the take-out sections in many specialty shops almost leave me speechless..almost.  I wish I could take a little bit of everything home with me.  I can’t, of course, but I usually manage to tuck little packages of this and that into my suitcase each time I visit so I can experiment with some new ingredient or odd shaped pasta when I get home.

I’ve been an enthusiastic follower of Proud Italian Cook since I started blogging 3 years ago, and I’ve tried many of Marie’s wonderful recipes.  She is an award winning Chicago blogger and when my daughter moved to the Midwest I became very interested in Marie’s posts about the city. We have followed her recommendations many times and have found  little deli’s and restaurants around town that serve up excellent food with plenty of atmosphere to go along with it.   Just before my trip east last April Marie wrote about Danny’s Cafe in Melrose Park. Take a look at their menu and there won’t be any question about why this restaurant was at the top of our list of places to visit.  For a look at some of Danny’s specialties and a tour of Caputo’s Cheese Market click here.  You won’t believe your eyes I guarantee it.   Their deli case alone will knock your socks off. And I have NEVER seen so many different kinds of cheese under one roof ANYWHERE.

5.0 from 7 reviews
Chicken Vesuvio ~ Chicago Style

• 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces
  • Salt and pepper
  • Dried oregano
  • Granulated garlic
  • Potato wedges, about 4 russets or 6 reds
  • Equal parts white wine and chicken broth. Marie used 1-1/2 cups of each
  • 10-12 whole garlic cloves
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  1. Season chicken with salt, pepper, oregano and garlic.
  2. Coat the bottom of a large, heavy skillet with olive oil and brown chicken pieces and potato wedges. Remove to a large roasting pan.
  3. Add garlic cloves to the skillet and cook until golden brown.
  4. Deglaze pan with wine, then add chicken broth. Cook down for several minutes and pour over chicken and potatoes. Add peas the last 15 minutes of cooking.
  5. Bake at 375F until chicken is cooked, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

I was so happy to find this recipe for Chicken Vesuvio on Marie’s Blog.  I followed her recipe exactly and we loved it.  The only thing I will do differently when I make it again, which will be soon, is to  increase the amount of wine and chicken broth to 2 cups each.  The sauce is so darn good and we all wanted more of it.  My oven cooks a little hot so I took the chicken out after 1 hour.

Proud Italian Cook photograph

I’m not sure how neckbones are served and Marie didn’t include a photograph. I guess I will have to try them the next time I visit.   Love the spare ribs…the tripe not so much.

Danny’s Chicken Vesuvio Sandwich

This is what I ordered for lunch that started my love affair with Chicken Vesuvio. Chicken cutlets are sauced in a garlicky wine gravy, garnished with fresh peas and served on a ciabatta roll.  That’s it.  Nothing else needed.

I’ve link this post to Foodie Friday at Designs by GollumOn the Menu Monday at StoneGable,

and Fresh Food Friday at la bella vita

HAPPY WEEKEND EVERYBODY!

Comments

Hi Cathy, Your photos are spectacular! I’m trying that sandwich next time I go. The neckbones are served only on Wed and Sat, so if you’re not there on those days you’ll miss out, you must try them next time. I’m so glad you enjoyed your foodie excursions here, don’t forget Freddys next time!
    Marie recently posted..Paccheri Pasta and Some Party IdeasMy Profile

2. Happier Than A Pig in Mud says

Wow, this dish is just beautiful Cathy (even at 6:30 AM!). Love the big potato wedges and your pretty copper pan too! Happy Weekend:@)

Oh, Cathy! I love your photography (what kind of camera/lens are you using????) This is magazine front cover worthy. I made this dish from a magazine recipe and it wasn’t very good. I love Marie’s website, and I know that both of you ladies can cook! So, I’m making this! Like, this weekend! This looks simple, and yet so elegant. GORGEOUS pan you have there. Oooh, lala!

Omygoodness! This is absolutely going to be the very next thing that I make once it cools off here and I use my kitchen again. This looks amazing! I love your blog and your photography and oh my goodness….the food! I’m your newest follower and look forward to getting to know you. I think I need to visit Chicago after reading this blog post. Have a fantastic weekend!
    Candace recently posted..Homemade Catalina Dressing & other stuff…My Profile

This recipe looks divine. Just printed it and subscribed to your blog. First time here. Found you over at Stone Gable where I linked up as well this morning with a recipe for Crepes with Summer Vegetables. I’m an interior designer but do a Sunday Supper post for my readers every week. always looking for new recipes. Have a great week. Mona
    Mona Thompson recently posted..Sunday Supper… Crepes with Summer VegetablesMy Profile

Cathy, I learned of your blog from Kathleen of Cuisine Kathleen. I love this recipe and Marie’s blog is one of my favorites. I have always wanted to visit Chicago, and Danny’s would be on my “hit list” of places to visit. I am your newest follower, too. xo,
    Barbara F. recently posted..Summertime BluesMy Profile

Cathy,
    This looks delicious and simple…a winning combination On Crooked Creek!
    I adore these hearty one dish meals for Autumn! Thank you for sharing!
    Fondly,
    Pat

8. Carolyn says

I made this last night and everyone loved it. There was not a pea left in the pan. GREAT POST MOM!!!!

HI Cathy, This Chicken Vesuvio sounds so outstanding! It was FEATURED on this week’s edition of Fresh Food Friday. I hope that you can stop by, check it out, pick up the button if you like, and share another recipe or two. Thanks again for your wonderful contribution!
    Roz recently posted..Fresh Food Friday!My Profile

I love Chicken Vesuvio and just made it this past week. I was curious to look at your recipe since I really don’t see anybody else making it. The only difference with ours is instead of oregano, I put in thyme. I got my recipe from Giada on FoodTV. The oregano probably makes it “Chicago style”. Your picture is amazing, makes me want to eat some again. I’m visiting from La Bella Vita’s, Fresh Food Friday.

11. RecipeNewZ (@RecipeNewZ) says

I saw the photo on Pinterest, and it was so beautiful that I just had to come here to read the recipe! Love it! And love your site :-).

I would like to invite you to share your recipes on a new photo based recipe sharing site that launched in May. The idea is simple: all recipe photographs are published within minutes of submission. And, of course, the images link back to the author’s site. Hundreds of bloggers have already joined. It’s called RecipeNewZ (with Z) – http://recipenewz.com Try it!

Even though I am a FL girl I am an adopted Chicagoan and I love the city I visit all the time. I finally made it to Harry Caray’s and I ordered this and LOVED IT! I had to find the recipe when I got home to make it. So happy I came across this recipe because it rocks! I am calorie counting so I used cooking spray instead of oil (I know the oil would have made it better) and boneless skinless chicken breasts and it was AMAZING! Gave my mom some and she said this is a keeper. I am pinning this recipe and making again! Thanks for sharing!

13. John W says

Try neckbones, Cathy, in your next all-day sauce. Brown the neckbones and set aside, then prepare your ragu, gravy, all-day sauce-whatever you call it, and let your neckbones simmer away along with your sauce. They add tremendous depth of flavor but do require a small amount of work when eating the delicious meat off the bone.

Finally, a recipe with the right amt of garlic cloves! I’ve been trying to find this recipe for awhile. We use to serve this dish at the greek restaurant we use to work at in Arlington Hts, IL. And I remembered the chef would always put in a bunch of garlic cloves.We use to run out of this dish every time he made!! lol Thanks for the memories of back home. :)