Farmers’ Market Notes~ August’s Offerings

In most of the farmer’s markets across the country August is the month we all wait for.  Berries are still available. Cauliflower is abundant in all its splendid colors. Steamer Clams and Dungeness Crab are fresh out of the ocean.  Tables are overflowing with Fava Beans, Carrots, Cabbages, Melons, Tomatoes, Onions, Peppers, Apricots, Peaches, Corn, Potatoes, Artichokes, Flowers of every kind, and much more.

I hope you all visit your local farmers’ markets on a regular basis throughout their season. They are an essential part of the vitality and spirit of our communities and all the vendors depend on local support for survival.  I would much rather give my dollars directly to the person who grows or prepares my food than to a large, faceless business that takes our sales dollars elsewhere.

I would like you to meet my good friend, George, a long time vendor at the Beaverton Farmer’s Market who grows celery and many varieties of lettuce.  George is one of the nicest people you will ever meet and I hope that you will introduce yourself if you visit our market in downtown Beaverton.  When you are there you can buy a big, beautiful head of butter lettuce or romaine for $1.50. You can’t beat that price!  By the way, in George’s other life he is a math professor at Portland State University and has the sweetest little wife you could ever meet. We love you, George!

I’m joining The Tablescaper today for Seasonal Sunday.

Comments

I think you must have one of the most wonderful farmers’ markets anywhere! It has been so hot here, I haven’t braved the farmers’ market for a few weeks but, luckily, ours is open 3 days a week and August is always the best time to visit.

Hi, George!
    Susan recently posted..Spritz CocktailMy Profile

I’m a firm believer in Farmer’s Markets and they are one of the reasons I look forward to summer! I just picked up some corn at five cents per ear that are amazing! I also picked up some new potatoes and can’t wait to make a salad with them. You are so right about the need to promote our local farmers and keep our communities vital and engaged. If only more people realized how nice it is to stroll through a market and talk to the folks that actually grew the produce . . . ahh . . . but I’m preaching to the choir, aren’t I?
    Maria recently posted..A Pothos Tale . . .My Profile

3. Kat says

We have moved out of the area but tell George “Hi” from his former next-door neighbor Kathy. I remember him when he and his sweet wife were newlyweds!

I agree, buy local! USA needs all the help it can get, plus local produce is so much tastier!
    If I drank wine I would buy from the wineries right here on LI. I am told they are excellent!
    I love your mighty mosaic, and yes, end of Aug and Sept we get such wonderful produce!
    Kathleen recently posted..Sailing into August and Sale ing!My Profile

What amazing looking produce…so colourful. Whilst we do have farmers markets in the UK with locally produced.food for sale, it is rarely this vibrant and appertising!

6. AImee says

LOVE it! This weekend, when our son was visiting here, I asked him two favors–the first was to cook for us and the second–to take me to his favorite farmer’s market of course:)
    Have a great week!
    Blessings, AImee

Cathy, just yesterday we were talking about the beautiful produce the pacific northwest produces which included a discussion of the berries too.

This is a really good reminder for folks to visit their farmer’s market to find the best seasonal foods for their families. Awesome.

Velva
    velva recently posted..Thomas Keller’s Fig Jam and Summer HeatMy Profile

What a fantastic post Cathy; you were talking to my heart and soul. Sadly we don’t have this kind of market where I live; so I love hearing bloggers tell me about what they enjoy. It the best time of the year.

We made a special trip to a very small market a couple of towns over on Saturday, and I’m so glad we did. It was nice to meet the farmer and know that our dollars are staying in the area, helping a small producer to keep providing beautiful produce. I feel blessed that we have several market options here in the Kansas City area especially since the only thing I grow myself are herbs!
    luvnspoonfuls recently posted..Asian SlawMy Profile

I love farmer’s markets, and I’m lucky to live within walking distance from one of the greatest in the world- Union Sq. Green Market in downtown NYC! But I’ve been spending a lot of my August in a small town on the Jersey Shore, and though there is a small farmer’s market in town on Thursdays, I have been pleasantly surprised by the availability of local produce in the nearby supermarkets which have been proudly stocking sweet Jersey corn, peaches and tomatoes. I’m glad to see that local farmers have been making connections with big supermarket chains, I hope this is a trend that is spreading all over the country, and not just down the shore!