Pumpkin Muffins with Cinnamon Chips and Walnuts

I bookmarked this recipe two years ago when I saw it on my friend, Pam’s, blog, For the Love of Cooking, and have been trying to find the cinnamon chips in local stores ever since. With no luck!  I knew her recipe would be delicious  and the thought of little gooey, creamy bits of cinnamon in a pumpkin muffin was enough to keep me searching.  I checked everybody from Whole Foods to a small local grocery in the town where I live and nobody had them or even heard of them.  Several stores said they would look into it but they never got back to me so for two years this recipe languished in my file of bookmarked recipes.  You can imagine how surprised I was when one of my FB friends happened to mention that she bought several bags of these chips at one of our local stores (Winco if you are interested and live close by) so I made a beeline for the closest outlet. To make sure it wasn’t just a holiday item and I wouldn’t run out over the winter I stocked up and will probably go back to get a few more bags just in case.  These little chips are delicious and worth all the fuss that went into finding them. Pam’s pumpkin muffins are heavenly and I’m looking forward to trying more recipe that include these tasty chips – I think a batch of cookies is next.

5.0 from 3 reviews
Pumpkin Muffins with Cinnamon Chips and Walnuts

• 1 cup of flour
  • ½ cup of whole wheat flour
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup pumpkin
  • ½ cup canola oil
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ tsp vanilla
  • ¼ cup buttermilk
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp nutmeg
  • ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • ¾ cup cinnamon chips
  • ½ cup walnuts, chopped
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, oil, eggs, vanilla and buttermilk. Add the white and brown sugars as well as the cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice. Mix thoroughly.
  3. Combine the flours with the salt and baking soda, stir well. Slowly add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and stir until combined. Add the cinnamon chips and walnut pieces. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan.
  4. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool muffins on a rack. Slather with butter and serve.
Notes
Although my muffin pan claims to be nonstick the cooking spray didn't quite do the trick and the muffins stuck a little bit. Next time I will butter the pan. I used walnuts as Pam suggested (delicious) and next time I will add pecans instead.

My family loves pumpkin anything – pies, breads, cookies, soups, vegetable dishes and many more.  What is your favorite pumpkin recipe?

You might also enjoy:

Wives with Knives:  Pumpkin Roulade with Ginger Buttercream

My Baking Addiction:  Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe

Wives with Knives:  Pumpkin Pie Bites

A Feast for the Eyes:   Pumpkin Brulee

Ciao Chow Linda:  Pumpkin Ravioli with Walnut Cream Sauce

This post is linked to Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum, Seasonal Sunday at The Tablescaper, and On the Menu Monday at StoneGable. I hope you will visit these wonderful blogs this weekend. You will find lots of recipes and friendship there.

Comments

1. Rita says

These look wonderful and tasty fall weather good Cathy!
    I have to try and find cinnamon chips; I am printing out your recipe and adding this and a can of pumpkin to my shopping list.

2. Aimee says

Yum! Your muffins look so good; your photo is making me very, very hungry! I love pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pie (of course), just plain pumpkin cooked, mashed with a bit of sugar and spice, pumpkin smoothies (at a certain fast food place), pumpkin milkshakes (at another fast food place)…basically I haven’t found a pumpkin recipe or food I don’t like:)
    Be blessed,
    Aimee
    PS: Do any Oregon stores carry your trail mix (the one with kiwi)? Between all that was going on, I (sadly) missed the last Saturday market :(

3. Happier Than A Pig in Mud says

The muffins look great Cathy, so glad you finally found the chips! Not sure but I think you can get something similar on King Arthur Flour, but of course we have to deal with the shipping charges then-boo hiss! Happy early Halloween:@)

4. Sue in Atlanta says

I can smell these right through the computer….I’m having a blog brunch on the 6th. and I have to make these…I bet the Walmart in town carries these chips….they always have odd things you can’t find anyplace else…..thanks for the recipe!

5. Vickie says

Hi Cathy!
    I’ve been slowly catching up on my reading and loved all your beautiful posts from the farmer’s market. Thanks for your warm words on my blog.

As for these muffins . . . I can only imagine how good they taste! I have seen those cinnamon chips in King Arthur’s Flour catalog and wondered what you could make with them. Now I know! My favorite pumpkin recipe would have to be my mother’s pumpkin roll with cream cheese frosting. She always made 2 at Thanksgiving and one of them always got “kidnapped” and hidden. With seven kids and their families, it was quite a fiasco sometimes.
    Vickie recently posted..Blogging BreakMy Profile

6. Raina says

Your muffins look so pretty, just like bakery muffins. They must be delicious with the cinnamon chips. Glad you found them. I have seen them in my local grocer a few times. They are not always there, but I have never baked with them, not sure why. I will have to grab a few bags so that I can make these yummy muffins.
    Raina recently posted..Halloween CakeMy Profile

7. Lyndsey ~The Tiny Skillet~ says

YUM! Cinnamon chips are perfect for these muffins. I think around here cinnamon chips are seasonal, last year I picked up a few bags before they were gone. The same goes for the green mint chips, I have been trying to find them for a friend and …Publix said they get them in for the holidays so I am on the look out for those now.
    Lyndsey ~The Tiny Skillet~ recently posted..Breakfast Egg and Toast CupsMy Profile