The next few weeks are filled with holiday events with friends and family and lots of rich food. It’s fun to indulge during the season, but sometimes a simple, quick to put together meal is the way to go. I wrote about this recipe several years ago and its’ so good it’s worth posting again. You can put the ingredients together in a matter of minutes. This is close to Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar soup and is a great meal with a little salad and biscuits or French bread. If you want to fancy it up you could serve it in little bread bowls the way Panera does. I use Tillamook Creamery Sharp Cheddar cheese and their preshredded packages are just the right amount for this recipe. So when your life gets crazy give yourself a little break and make this wonderful, cheesy satisfying soup and spend your time doing the fun stuff like decorating the tree and watching sentimental holiday movies. Take a break when you can because by the end of the holiday you will have had way more than enough of standing over the stove and doing dishes.
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken base if you have it
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups medium cheddar cheese, grated. I prefer Tillamook cheddar
- 1 pound steamed broccoli, cut into a large chop
- Saute onions in butter till tender. Add flour and cook a couple of minutes. Add milk and chicken broth, stirring constantly until thickened. I start with 3 cups of broth and add more if the soup gets too thick. Season with salt, pepper and a dash of cayenne pepper. Add grated cheese and stir until melted. Add broccoli and stir. Add a dash of paprika for a little color. You could add some diced chicken if you like, but I think it is great just this way.
This soup deserves a homemade biscuit and Ina’s Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits are a great choice.
Cheddar Zucchini Scones are another delicious option.
This post is linked to Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum, Seasonal Sunday at The Tablescaper and On the Menu Monday at StoneGable.