Brioche Loaves

I’m slowly working my way through one of my favorite new cookbooks, Barefoot in Paris, by Ina Garten.  Every recipe I’ve made has been wonderful and I wasn’t disappointed when I I tried her recipe for brioche.  It was easy to put together and I could tell by the look and feel of  the dough that I was going to love its texture and aroma. Six eggs and a half pound of butter (gasp!) give it a rich, tender crumb. It has a dark, golden and flaky crust achieved with an egg wash just before it goes into the oven.

Brioche is wonderful toasted and served with butter and jam, dipped in egg and fried in butter,  or
used to make croque monsieur, a classic French ham and cheese  sandwich.

Oh, this is just sinful!  Definitely not on my diet plan for the month.  Add an egg to croque monsieur and you have croque madame.

5.0 from 5 reviews
Brioche Loaves

• ½ cup warm water (110 - 120 degrees)
  • 1 package dry yeast
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 6 extra large eggs at room temperature
  • 4-1/2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • ½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon milk, for egg wash
  1. Combine the water, yeast and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. (If the bowl is cold start with warmer water so it's at least 110 degrees when you add the yeast). Mix with your hand and allow to stand for 5 minutes until the yeast and sugar dissolve. Add the eggs and beat on medium speed for 1 minute, until well mixed.
  2. With the mixer on low speed, add 2 cups of the flour and the salt and mix for 5 minutes. With the mixer still on low, add 2 more cups of flour and mix for 5 more minutes.
  3. Still on slow speed, add the soft butter in chunks and mix for 2 minutes, scraping down the beater until well blended.
  4. With the mixer still running, sprinkle in the remaining ¼ cup of flour. Switch the paddle attachment to a dough hook and mix on low speed for 2 minutes.
  5. Scrape the dough into a large buttered bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
  6. The next day, allow the dough to sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Grease two 8-1/2x4-1/2x2-1/2 inch loaf pans. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and cut in half. Pat each portion into a 6x8-inch rectangle, then roll up each rectangle into a cylindrical loaf.
  7. Place each loaf, seam side down, into a buttered pan. Cover the pans with a damp towel and set aside to rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
  8. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. When the loaves have risen, brush the top of each with the egg wash and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top springs back and it sounds slightly hollow when tapped. Turn the loaves out onto a wire rack to cool.
Notes
Be sure the butter really is at room temperature. Ina leaves hers out overnight. Sugar feeds the yeast's growth and salt inhibits it. You want to add the sugar directly to the yeast but add the salt only after you've mixed in some flour - Ina.

This post is linked to Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum. Many thanks to Michael Lee, our gracious host.

Comments

What beautiful bread, my dear! Like Red-riding-hood, I’d like to put it in a lovely basket and share it with someone I love. Adding an egg just puts it up over the top yummy. Happy New Year to you Cathy.
    renee recently posted..Pepper SteakMy Profile

Just beautiful. My husband tried to make someting similar over the holidays, it din’t turn out as he was hoping. I am priting this recipe our so he can take another try at it.
    I love to make bread but never tried my hand at a brioche; another great post.

My oh my… sigh of delectable delight! I love brioche…and not to mention croque madame…. I just did a post on champagne and now you have me eating brioche~! Gotta luv blogland! By the way hank you for your lovely visit and comment. I have had you in my side bar for a while now and your blog’s name always puts a smile on my dail…

Veronica
    Veronica recently posted..Tiny Bubbles….My Profile

The brioche looks so good….And you know Ina will never disappoint you. Love, Love, the last photo with egg. No doubt that was delicious.

Happy New Year to you Cathy! Looking forward to all your posts. Here is hoping that your new year brings you new journeys in food and travel.

Peace.
    Velva
    velva recently posted..Juice of a Few Flowers CocktailMy Profile

Oh, your brioche looks fabulous, Cathy! I’m featuring brioche rolls tomorrow for French Fridays with Dorie. My family is loving them….but next time, I’m going your route with the single loaf!

Wow, what a delicious looking brioche. I bought one of those fluted pans for making brioche but have not ever used it. You are giving me inspiration – but it will have to wait till all the Christmas goodies are finished. Panettone still to finish – that’s more or less a brioche dough too – with other goodies added.
    ciaochowlinda recently posted..Flea Markets in ParisMy Profile

OMG!!! You get the award for recipes causing the most salivation, Cathy!!! I’m drooling and the only cure would be to make this. I love IG so it has to be delicious! I just wish you lived next door!!! Here’s wishing you and yours a healthy, happy, prosperous 2012!

I am so glad you are working your way through Ina’d cookbook, it’s allowing me to see all the wonderful goodness and hear from a “not from my tv, went through editing, and makes it look so easy” cook/baker. I’ve pinned this and will be trying soon,Hugs!

I love your website, and I especially love the name. Sassy!!

I’ve been searching for a good brioche bread recipe, everyone so far has a “simplified” version online, which means…healthier, less better and..No fun!!

Thanks for the great info !

t