The Prime Rib’s Blue Cheese Dressing

Pin It

The Prime Rib is one of Portland’s oldest steakhouse restaurants. It was well known in the ’50’s and I remember going there on special occasions with my parents and grandparents. The recipe for their famous blue cheese dressing was published in the Portland Oregonian’s food section years ago so my mother and grandmother could replicate The Prime Rib’s wonderful and still famous salad at home. I found the little card with the handwritten dressing recipe in my mom’s file and it always brings back lovely memories when I make it.

The dressing was served over mixed greens, sliced tomatoes, avocado, julienned pickled beets and grated carrots. Shrimp was added on request.  If you like blue cheese dressing as much as I do I’m sure you will love this version of the classic recipe and may never go back to the old way of making it.  The mustard and horseradish add some snap to the recipe and the chunks of blue cheese are a nice texture contrast to the creaminess of the dressing.  Don’t make this in the food processor, rather cut the blue cheese into small pieces and add it to the blended dressing.  Mash the pieces with a fork if you want them a little smaller. Think of this recipe as blue cheese dressing with an attitude.

5.0 from 5 reviews
The Prime Rib's Blue Cheese Dressing

• 2 cups mayonnaise
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • ¾ teaspoon onion salt
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons Lawry's Seasoning Salt
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons malt vinegar (or cider vinegar)
  • 1 teaspoon Worchestershire Sauce
  • 2 tablespoons horseradish sauce
  • 4-5 tablespoons cream
  • ½ to ¾ cup crumbled blue cheese, to taste
  1. Combine all ingredients except blue cheese and cream in a bowl and mix well. Thin with a tablespoon or two of cream until the dressing is the desired consistency. Add cheese and combine well. Mash some of the cheese with a fork if desired. I recommend not using a food processor because the texture of the cheese in the dressing is lovely with the salad ingredients.
  2. Serve with salad greens, croutons, shrimp, avocado, julienne pickled beets and grated carrot.
Notes
The Prime Rib used to make their own seasoning salt and Lawry's is as close as I can come to their blend.

~~~~~

Comments

I’ll have to confess, to my knowledge I’ve never eaten Blue Cheese Dressing.

I’ve always been a ranch person.

That salad looks amazing. I can see why it’s famous!
    Ramona recently posted..2012 KumquatsMy Profile

We have a restaurant our favourite that open back in the 60s called Mr Prime rib. They don’t have this salad that I am pinning and will be making soon. Looks fantastic.

3. Lynn says

Blue Cheese is my favorite salad dressing and this one looks really interesting with the horseradish addition. Looking forward to trying it.

I love blue cheese – I need to make this dressing! The shrimp & veggies look really delicious too. The restaurant isn’t around anymore is it?

i LOVE blue cheese dressing, i have got to try this! how nice that they published the recipe for the public!

ps, i’m making your egg foo yong tonight, i can’t wait!!
    teresa recently posted..Pasta RollupsMy Profile

Blue Cheese Dressing with Attitude!! sounds right up my alley – your picture are truly beautiful and the dressing sounds divine!
    Mary x

7. Kathy says

I recently ate at the Prime Rib and had to come right home and google for their salad dressing recipe – LOVE their dressing; I made this the next night. I used Kraft Horseradish Sauce and found I had to add 2 tsp. regular cream-style horseradish to get a perfect match for me.

Your salad ingredients look and sound great so I will try that next time, but this time I made mine like the current Prime Rib House Salad – chopped mixed greens, red onions, julienned beets, sunflower seeds, and croutons. The salad comes to the table already dressed (a little on the heavy side). Its my favorite – and now thanks to you, I can make it anytime I want.