Homemade Sandwich Buns in 60 Minutes

Homemade Hamburger Buns

Sandwich Buns with Egg Salad

I shared this recipe for homemade sandwich buns when I first started blogging and think it’s about time I share it again.   I have been baking more bread in the last few months and it has made me really appreciate how quick and easy these delicious buns are to make.  Start to finish…60 minutes.  I wanted hamburger buns for this weekend but if you want hot dog buns just shape the dough into oblong pieces.  If you make your own buns you can split them on the top lengthwise for shrimp or lobster rolls or make smaller slider buns.  How versatile is that?

sandwich buns recipe

Homemade Sandwich Buns

This recipe was everywhere in bloggie land a few years ago and I read rave reviews about it at Once Upon A Plate, All That Splatter’s and  How To Cook A Wolf  to name just a few of those who enthusiastically wrote  about it.  I have made this recipe many times and it always turns out the way it is supposed to. Use your digital scale to make sure all the buns are the same size and the yield is what you want.   A French trained pastry chef friend of mine told me the secret to getting that beautiful glaze on yeast breads:  brush the tops with beaten egg yolks only – don’t use the whites – and add a few grains of sugar for a deep golden color.

Hamburger bun recipe

Cheeseburger Anyone?

Even a simple hamburger becomes something special when it’s served on a homemade bun. I hope you will try this quick and easy recipe for yourself. Your family will love you for it.

4.9 from 12 reviews

Homemade Sandwich Buns

• 1 cup milk
  • ½ cup water
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • ¼ cup butter
  • 1 egg, room temperature
  • 4-1/2 cups flour
  • 1 package instant yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 beaten egg yolk
  • Sesame and poppy seeds for sprinkling on top before baking
  1. Heat the milk, water, honey and butter until butter is melted. Check temperature and let cool to 120F. Carefully beat in egg.
  2. Mix 2 cups of the flour, yeast and salt. Mix into the milk mixture. Stir in the rest of the flour, ½ cup at a time. Beat well after each addition.
  3. When the dough pulls together, (it will form a soft ball) turn it out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. This should take about 5 minutes. I use a stand mixer and beat with the paddle attachment, then switch to the dough hook to knead. Add a little more flour while mixing with the dough hook, a little at a time until dough is no longer sticky.
  4. Divide the dough into 12-16 equal parts. I use my kitchen scale to do this so all the buns come out the same size and I get exactly the number of buns I want. The dough in this recipe weighs approxiately 2 pounds so if I want 12 buns I make each one 2-3/4 ounces. Buns this weight are about 3 inches across. This is small, but it’s the perfect size for me and my grandchildren. If you want a larger bun use 4 ounces of dough for each one.
  5. Shape the dough into smooth balls, flatten slightly and place on a silicone mat covered baking sheet.
  6. Cover loosely with plastic film and allow to rise 30-40 minutes. When buns have almost doubled bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes.
  7. If desired, after buns have risen, brush tops with beaten egg yolk for a shiny glaze. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds or coarse salt before baking.

hamburger buns recipe

Homemade Hamburger Buns

This post is linked to March’s BYOB – Bake Your Own Bread event at girlichef.

Comments

Cathy, these are great photos! I can’t begin to count the number of buns/bread I have made over the years. I love working with yeast, something so satisfying about making your own bread/buns. My family was spoiled and rarely ate store bought anything! Thanks for sharing this quick recipe.

These look so good!
    Thought you’d like to know that I’m making your German Chocolate Cake for my daughter’s birthday dinner this weekend. Soooo good!

Your first posting of this recipe is, rumpled and stained, in my recipe file. We rarely purchase buns any more. It is just as delicious as it looks!!

They REALLY look good, Cathy! I’m wondering if I can cut the recipe in half & just make 6 buns. It is really hard when there are only 2 people in the house & your crave a good hot dog. Who wants all those leftovers??? We just can’t eat them up fast enough before they spoil.
    I never think to use the leftover hot dog buns for egg salad or tuna salad, though. I will gladly try your method Very, very soon!

Thanks for sharing & LOVE those photos with the seeds. I’m pinning those!
    Rettabug recently posted..My Chickadees!My Profile

5. Happier Than A Pig in Mud says

Wow, this must have been popular before I started blogging, so glad you reposted it Cathy! It’s bookmarked and I will be giving it a try:@)

Another winner; I agree with you about home made being special. Your photos are picture perfect and added to my board.

7. Kris says

I have a recipe almost identical for hamburger buns, and was just thinking that i needed to make some soon. I always forget about this recipe, and it is so easy. Delicious!!! I want an egg salad sammy now in the worst way!!

Thanks ever so much for sharing this recipe again, Cathy! I have wanted to make homemade buns for ages – why I never have before is a mystery even to myself. Yours look absolutely perfect! Gorgeous! And, yes indeed, any burger or sandwich would become something special on a bun like this. Perfect!
    Jamie recently posted..MOM’S CHOCOLATE CHIP NUT BREAD MY WAYMy Profile

I love these! They are beautiful with the egg wash and if I can truly make them in 6o minutes I need to try them soon! I can make a big batch and then freeze a bunch…and save some money on rolls!

Beautiful! I’ve made them before with great success, so I can definitely attest to the ease of this recipe. I need to make them again soon.

These buns look soooooooooooooooooooooo good! Can’t wait until the weekend rolls around again, I have time to bake. My mouth is watering. Thanks for sharing, Connie

I finally made these fantastic rolls last week Cathy. We love them! They freeze nicely too, which is nice since there are just the 2 of us now. I plan on keeping them around as they really are better than any store bought buns. Thanks!
    Lynda recently posted..Homemade Sandwich BunsMy Profile

13. Veronica says

Hi! These look delicious and I’m hoping to make them tomorrow. How would you suggest freezing and thawing leftovers? I also wondered if they can be made successfully without a silicone mat? Do you have any suggestions on this? Thanks!!

14. Veronica says

Made this recipe for bbq pulled beef sandwiches and the combination was delicious. Thank you for sharing this very recipe! I love that it is so verstile and will definitely be using it again!! :)

15. peggio says

Oh my gosh, these look amazing and JUST what I am looking for to make after Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches! I just came across your blog when I googled homemade sandwich buns and I was so thrilled to see how quick they can be made AND w/my kitchen aid mixer. THANK YOU Cathy for re-posting!

16. Madonna says

Do you by chance know the weight of the flour? 5 ounces per cup? I have started weighing everything and it has helped me become a better cook. I make a half batch of the Cuisine At Home version that uses a pound of flour and a half pound of water, and a double rise. Although I really like them, this one-rise version may usurp them. I can’t wait to try them.

• says

Hi Madonna -
      Thank you so much for your question. I am paying more attention to precise measurements and have begun listing weights in addition to volumes in many of my recipes. I weighed a cup of the all-purpose flour I use and it varies between 4-3/4 and 5 ounces. Weighing ingredients is the only way to be precise about a recipe.
      Cathy recently posted..Turkey Noodle Soup…and other turkey recipesMy Profile

17. bob says

really nice rolls…they are gorgeous…but you really gotta flatten them or they will rise higher than you want for a sandwich bun imho…beautiful and delicious…thanks for the recipe

18. Bek Wilkinson says

How many buns does this recipe make? I am serving sandwiches at my son’s birthday party this weekend and was going to buy buns, but these look so delicious and I love baking bread. I will need about 30-35 sandwiches so I need an idea of how many one batch yields.
    Thanks

19. Bill says

hmmmm, trying this today, they did not rise well, yeast issue maybe ? they should be out soon but they do not look like yours, uggggggg

20. Rachael says

I was looking for a easy bun recipe to make (because it would be my first time making buns) and I knew your recipe was the one for me when I saw your silpat! I could always trust a chef who uses their silpats! Thanks for sharing!!

21. Rob Lubke says

I made these for the umpteenth time today after getting home from the state fair. It always amazes me how fast they go…and was perfect for a tuna salad sandwich. We were exhausted but I didn’t want the DH to think fair food tasted better than home cooking…LOL…make these and you will agree they are about the best darned thing you can do for a simple sandwich supper!

22. linda loffredo says

Can’t wait to make these awesome looking slider buns! I used to bake bread all the time, when my kids were small…and now that I am looking forward to Fall, it is the perfect time to start rattling those pans again! Thanks for the recipe!