If it is Secret Recipe Club reveal day it means that the month is almost over. I’m in Group C, led by Angie at Big Bear’s Wife, and our reveal day is the third Monday of each month. SRC is a large group of bloggers who get together every month to explore each other’s blogs, try recipes, and then write about them. “Secret” comes into play because we keep our assigned blog a secret until the day when we publish our post. My April’s assignment is Deli-Cute-Essen, a fun play on words, written by Devon, a recently married working gal who lives in Montreal. Devon’s blog is all about vegan cooking, is written in a very enjoyable and friendly style, and shows off Devon’s considerable camera skills. I have never been too interested in vegan recipes and usually shy away from any recipe that has “vegan” in the title, but as I started to read through Devon’s recipes I was very impressed by how delicious and appetizing her recipes look. If you are into vegan cooking I urge you to visit Devon’s blog for some tantalizing recipes and lots of information about vegan dishes.
I spent last week in the high desert country of Central Oregon and wanted to make a batch of cookies for the trip so the recipe I selected from Deli-Cute-Essen was Chocolate Coconut Cookies. I substituted ingredients I had in my kitchen for the egg replacer and vegan margarine and added some chopped, toasted hazelnuts to the recipe. I ran out of time before I could bake the cookies so added a little bit of extra flour, formed the dough into a log, rolled it in waxed paper and refrigerated it overnight. I baked the cookies the next morning so we had freshly baked, warm chocolate chip cookies to munch on with our coffee as we headed out for Bend. I had a chunk of good quality chocolate in the cupboard so I chopped it into pieces rather than using chocolate chips.
- Egg replacer to equal one egg (1 large egg)
- ½ cup vegan margarine (1/2 cup unsalted butter)
- ¾ cup sucanat (3/4 cup granulated sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¾ cup vegan dark chocolate cut into squares (3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips)
- ½ cup hazelnuts, chopped and lightly toasted
- In a food processor or large bowl, blend or mix together the egg replacer, margarine, sugar, and vanilla until smooth and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coconut, hazelnuts and chocolate. Add the margarine mixture and stir until well incorporated. Roll dough into balls, lay on cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Let cookies cool 5 minutes before removing from sheet.
Two of the Three Sisters Mountains in Bend, Oregon.
Deer usually come visiting in the early evening. They are so tame they would probably walk right into the condo if the door was left open.