Asparagus Ham and Goat Cheese Quiche

Asparagus Ham and Goat Cheese Quiche

It’s hard to top  homemade quiche for a quick and easy, inexpensive and delicious meal.  A hearty slice and a small arugula salad are a satisfying lunch or dinner any day of the week.  I have no problem using a purchased pie crust (Marie Callender’s are my favorite), and I can stretch a small piece of leftover ham or a few slices of bacon in this dish to generously serve 4 or 5 people.  My quiches are never the same twice because I use up whatever bits of veggies are in the fridge and odds and ends of cheeses that have been used for other recipes.  Three eggs and a generous cup of cream are the glue that holds the meats, veggies and cheeses together. Don’t worry if you don’t add meat to this recipe, the vegetarian version is just as tasty.  I had a small piece of ham left over from Easter dinner and a piece of goat cheese that needed using so into the pie shell they went.  I usually use Swiss cheese but the goat cheese gave a slight tang and a creaminess to the filling that I loved, so its my new favorite.  It’s possible to put together a fantastic meal in a hurry if you have a few convenience foods in the fridge or freezer.  Pie shells and puff pastry are two of my favorites.  What are yours?

Pear Gorgonzola Salad Dressing – Makes a Killer Arugula Salad

I usually make my own salad dressing but occasionally it’s nice to reach into the fridge and have a good dressing that’s ready to use.  This caught my eye at the grocery store the other day and I admit I have used it on my bowl of greens every night since.  I tossed it with arugula and added some blue cheese crumbles and a few chopped pecans and I was one happy girl.

4.8 from 4 reviews
Asparagus Ham and Goat Cheese Quiche

• 1 9-inch purchased or homemade pie shells
  • 1-1/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and peeled
  • 1 medium shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 ounces cooked ham, diced
  • 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1-1/4 cup half-and-half
  • 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake empty pie shell 7-8 minutes. Remove pie crust from the oven and reduce heat to 350 degrees.
  2. Set aside 12 asparagus spears. Slice remaining spears into 1-inch pieces. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet and saute asparagus and shallots until asparagus is barely tender. Spread mixture on the bottom of the partially baked pie shell. Saute the uncut stalks in the same pan until they are barely tender. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
  3. Top asparagus mixture with the diced ham and crumbled goat cheese.
  4. Combine half-and-half, eggs, parsley and salt and pepper and pour over ingredients in the pie shell. Arrange whole asparagus spear decoratively on the top of the quiche.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes until set and nicely browned. Let set for 20 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or at room temperature.

~~

Asparagus Ham and Goat Cheese Quiche

Today’s post is linked to three of my favorite blogs.  I hope you will stop by and visit.

Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm
Seasonal Sunday at The Tablescaper
On the Menu Monday at StoneGable

Comments

1. Bonnie says

we have just received our first asparagus and quiche is on the menu. i’ve not seen that salad dressing here but will keep an eye out.

best,
    bonnie

2. Jamie says

What a gorgeous quiche! Wow! But you cannot imagine how frustrating it is seeing all the asparagus recipes on American food blogs when nary a slender green stalk is in sight in my market! And aspargus are local products! So I will patiently wait until I can make this perfect quiche – definitely with the goat cheese! I love it!
    Jamie recently posted..CLASSIC AMERICAN DOUBLE-RICH CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKEMy Profile

3. Pam says

Quiche is great any time and yours sounds delicious, Cathy! I’ve seen that Litehouse dressing at the grocery store and wondered how it is. Now I have to buy it and try it and find some good fresh asparagus too. I have puff pastry in the freezer most of the time and for other convenience foods, I love chopped garlic in the jar, jarred pasta sauces, tortillini from the dairy case, and, Bush baked beans when I’m in a hurry are great!

4. Debbie@Mountain Breaths says

What a nice looking quiche! I’ll have to give Marie’s pastry shell a try. Haven’t found any store bought crusts that I really like.

5. Yvonne @ StoneGable says

I’m keeping this recipe and I’ll make this when our asparagus come us! YUMMY! It is beautiful!
    Here is my rule of thumb… if I can buy it better than I can make it then I do. I found a poppyseed dressing that tastes as good if not better than mine so I buy it! Lots less work!
    Thanks for the tip about your favorite store bought pie crust. The one’s I’ve tried so far, fall short. I’ll be looking for Marie Callender’s
    Thanks!
    Yvonne @ StoneGable recently posted..BREAKFAST ON THE BACK PORCHMy Profile

6. Lea Ann says

Beautiful quiche Cathy! I didn’t realize Marie Calendars made crusts. Must be in the freezer section? I’ll have to look for them. Also, Lighthouse is one of my favorite dressings. Love their chunky blue cheese and will have to look for this one.

7. bj says

This looks sooo good. We are in Phase One of the South Beach Diet and can’t have the crust but, I am going to make it crustless and serve it on lettuce leaves…bet it will be good. Now, after 2 weeks, we can add multigrains so I must come up with a crust that we can handle.
    Thanks for the recipe.

I don’t think I’ve ever made two identical quiches – and that’s why it’s such a great dish. Your quiche looks very pretty and I’ll file away that idea for arranging the asparagus. I’ve just recently discovered Pear Gorgonzola dressing – yummy!

9. kristy lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty says

i really don’t use a lot of processed pre-made food ingredients but i’ll agree with you – quiche makes for an excellent quick, nutritious meal any day of the week. I love just using up whatever happens to be the fridge at any given time.

beautiful photography btw!

10. Susan says

I still have a little ham in my freezer from Easter. that I need to use soon. This would be a delicious way to use it! I always have a package of puff pastry in my freezer and usually a package of potato gnocchi in the pantry.
    Susan recently posted..A Salad for All SeasonsMy Profile