I intended to post this recipe weeks ago but I got sidetracked and it fell off my radar until today. I found it on Pinterest, the source of so many of the recipes I’ve tried lately, and it has already made the rounds of some of my favorite blogs: Jacqueline at Purple Chocolate Home raved about it and described it as an “absolute killer” dish. ”It’s the ultimate stick-to-your-ribs type of comfort food” was Kay’s comment at Kayotic Kitchen. I’ll add my two cents and say that this is delicious and is a recipe that will be in my regular rotation of family favorites. If you haven’t tried this way of preparing chicken I hope you will give it a try. It’s yummy reheated so be sure to make plenty.
We loved this chicken dish with pasta and it is wonderful with brown rice or mashed potatoes too. I don’t care for canned soup in most recipes but it works with the other ingredients and makes a delicious sauce. This is a great week day meal and I wouldn’t hesitate for a minute serving this on a special occasion or to company. Garnish with some chopped crispy bacon and fresh parsley if you want to dress it up a bit.
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 7 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can concentrated cream of mushroom soup
- 4 or 5 slices thick bacon
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ⅔ cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 apple, peeled and finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Season the chicken breasts well with salt and pepper.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet and drain on paper towel. Add some butter and quickly brown the chicken breasts on both sides. Transfer them to a casserole.
- Cook the onion for 3 minutes, then add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper, cook an additional 3 minutes. Add the chopped apple and cook for another 3 minutes. Pour in the white wine and deglaze the pan. Add the mushroom soup and grated cheese and mix well.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken breasts. Bake in a 350F oven for 25 – 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
- Cook the spaghetti in salted water according to the directions on the package. Put the spaghetti in a bowl, place the chicken on top and pour the sauce over all.
Don’t you just want to stick a fork right into the picture and take a big bite? I sure do.
This post is linked to:
To stay up to date with the latest recipes and travel posts from Wives with Knives, please subscribe here.