As much as I like appetizers I have posted very few recipes for them here on WIVES WITH KNIVES. Don’t know why, actually, but it isn’t too late to remedy that deficiency, especially during the holiday season when most of us make and consume more snacks and appy’s than at any other time of year. Salsa and guacamole are two of my favorites and I got the idea to combine them when I was served an avocado salsa at my favorite Mexican restaurant. It wasn’t anything like this recipe and was way too hot for my palate but it got the wheels turning and this is what I came up with.
I began with a simple SALSA VERDE recipe and roasted the tomatillos, onions, garlic and jalapenos for extra flavor. Let the vegetables cool, then pulse several times in a food processor…don’t over process. Add cumin, cilantro and lime juice along with the avocado and process until well mixed and still chunky.
This is delicious any way you want to serve it. It’s plan fantastic with tortilla chips and is wonderful as a salsa on your favorite mexican dishes. I added a a spoonful to my fish tacos last night along with cabbage and some radish slices and it was muy bueno.
Cut the veggies into large chunks, toss in a little vegetable oil and roast at a high temperature until soft and blistered.
- 2-1/2 pounds tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 2 large onions
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2-4 jalapenos, cut in half with seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup packed cilantro
- 3 avocados
- 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel and chop the onions into quarters. Place the tomatillos, onions, garlic and jalapenos on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes – until the exteriors are blistered. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, half the avocados, remove the seeds and scoop out the flesh.
- Pulse all ingredients except the avocado in a food processor for 5-10 seconds until chunky. Add avocado and lime juice and pulse until salsa is well blended but still has good texture. Serve with chips or your favorite Mexican dishes.
There is still time to order Bavarian Nuts for Christmas
TRADITIONAL HAND ROASTED CINNAMON GLAZED ALMONDS, HAZELNUTS AND PECANS ARE AVAILABLE FOR YOUR CHRISTMAS GIFT GIVING AT THE BAVARIAN NUT COMPANY ONLINE STORE. YOU WILL ALSO FIND PREMIUM QUALITY OREGON HAZELNUTS IN A VARIETY OF FORMS; DRY ROASTED, CHOPPED, AND TOASTED HAZELNUT FLOUR/MEAL IN ADDITION TO WHOLE, ALL NATURAL NUTS. YOU CAN ALSO PICK UP A WIVES WITH KNIVES CHEF APRON FOR YOUR FAVORITE COOK. TO GET THERE JUST CLICK ON THE LINK OR ON THE NUTCRACKER BANNER AT THE TOP RIGHT OF THIS PAGE.