It’s easy for me to include lots of fresh fruits and vegetables in our daily diet…the trick is serving them in appetizing ways that don’t add lots of extra calories. I love broccoli and cauliflower when they are topped with a rich cheese sauce and buttered breadcrumbs. Fresh fruit is wonderful, especially when there is a scoop of French vanilla ice cream sitting underneath it. Raw veggies make a healthy snack but the first thing everybody reaches for is a bowl of ranch dressing to dip them in.
CHINESE STYLE BROCCOLI SALAD is helping me mend my ways and be more than happy eating my veggies. It’s simple dressing is full of flavor and an artificial sweetener could replace the sugar if you really want to get serious about it. The first time I cooked the broccoli I cooked it longer the the 1 minute specified in the recipe and it was too much. The crunch is part of the appeal of the salad so set the timer and get it right into the ice bath. This recipe is so good I don’t even miss the calories I would consume if I had that ranch dressing. A generous serving of salad and a grilled chicken breast…and a little glass of white wine… is a very satisfying meal. I think next time I’ll add a pinch of red pepper flakes for a little kick. Otherwise, it’s perfect.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh broccoli
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Separate broccoli into bite-size florets.
- Bring 2-1/2 quarts water, 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon salt to boil. Add broccoli and boil quickly for 1 minute. Plunge broccoli into ice water to set color and stop cooking. Drain well.
- In a small bowl combine remaining ingredients. Pour over broccoli and gently toss. This salad can be served hot or cold.