Nana’s Small Batch Buttery Buns

Nana's Small Batch Buttery BunsFood blogging can be a real challenge for somebody who cooks for one.  A full recipe of almost everything is too much and even cutting some of my favorites in half  produces more food that I can possibly consume. It was easy when my kids were young and had healthy appetites.  Leftovers made great school lunches and after school snacks and cooking and baking were a part of everyday life.  I wish I had blogged back then when there was always something going on in my kitchen.  But we still have our holidays and special occasions when I bring out the big guns and cook all of our favorites.  In the meantime…I found this wonderful recipe for BUTTERY BUNS at La Table de Nana, and Monique’s description of them as “soft and pillowy” got my attention.  Her recipes are always so good and I know if she is enthusiastic about sometime I will most probably like it too.  I was a little skeptical that the small amount of dough the recipe produced would actually make six good sized dinner/sandwich rolls but, as you can see, it did.  I served them with soup the first night, made sandwiches the next day, and served the last two with butter and jam for breakfast.  If you don’t need to make enough rolls to feed an army this is THE recipe to try.

Nana's Small Batch Buttery Buns

Monique made her dough in a bread machine and you can find her directions HERE.
 I don’t have one so adapted it to my electric mixer and it went together in minutes.

5.0 from 2 reviews

• 1 teaspoon instant yeast
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • ½ cup warm water
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1-1/2 cups (6-3/4 ounces) all purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • Egg wash – 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water (optional)
  • Sesame seeds (optional)
  1. Combine yeast, sugar and warm water in the bowl of an electric mixer. Stir until combined. Add butter, flour and salt and mix with a dough hook until combined. Knead for 7-8 minutes.
  2. Place dough in a buttered bowl, cover lightly and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
  3. Divide dough into 6 equal portions, approximately 2.5 ounces each, form into balls and place in a cast iron skillet or buttered cake pan. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
  4. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350 degrees until nicely browned, about 25 minutes.

Comments

1. Kris says

Those look and sound wonderful!!! They would have been perfect for my peppered beef today. Darn!!
    Hope you are well!
    xo Kris

They are gorgeous Cathy:) We had them also 2 days later w/ Pulled pork..we nuked them for a few seconds..back to like fresh baked..Oh our buns look like twins in their cast iron pans:) Thank you for liking them like we do:)
    Glad to know they work as well w/out the breadmaker as many many don’t have one..or the need:).
    I am making more..because we made way too much pulled pork:)
    Monique recently posted..You’ve Got Mail~My Profile

Oh, my these look yummy! I, too, cannot seem to cook for one. A lot of things I make I share with my kids so they appreciate it. These would be perfect one or even two. Thanks so much for sharing!

xo
    Pat
    Pat recently posted..~ Lemon Pound Cake ~My Profile

Yours look as beautiful as Moniques. I saw that and thought it was wonderful too. We are struggling just to cook for 2. Most of my blogging takes place on Sunday dinner when I am cooking for more. Of course, on a regular basis we eat so much simpler than we used to – age and weight and everything!! I am going to have to try this.
    Jacqueline recently posted..Caramel Toffee Dip Using Heath Toffee BitsMy Profile

Oh Boy…I’m putting these on this week’s menu, for sure! They look & sound delicious & the fact that it makes a small batch is very appealing.
    Thanks for sharing how you made them, Cathy! I have a bread machine & will head on over to Monique’s blog shortly, but I shall send a link to your site to my sisters, who don’t own bread machines.

Warm hugs,
    Rett
    Rettabug recently posted..♥♥ Valentine Cozy ♥♥My Profile

Since most of the time it is only my husband and myself at the table, this will be the perfect recipe size fro me, cathy! They look like beautiful buns and good in so many different ways!
    Pat recently posted..Coyote Song TrailMy Profile

These rolls look so perfect and delicious. This amount of rolls would be perfect for a family dinner for me, but they definitely would be gone in an instant:)
    Raina recently posted..ChiliMy Profile

These looks so good and I love that its a small batch. It’s so helpful for people that don’t need a large quantity and don’t have a big freezer for extras.
    Kitty recently posted..PalmiersMy Profile

They look perfect, Cathy! I tried them also right after Monique posted the recipe but mine didn’t turn out :( I used a partial envelope of yeast that I had stored in the pantry and I think it was too old. Lesson learned!
    Susan recently posted..Gingerbread HeartsMy Profile

These rolls look absolutely delightful! I wonder too, as my last child is a teenager what it is going to be like cooking in an empty nest…Certainly, my weeknight cooking will be less crazy and my weekend cooking, well let’s hope the family wants to come eat it-

Take care.