Chocolate Cream Roll

Chocolate Cream Roll

I went to Chicago last week to visit family and to celebrate my granddaughter’s 23rd and my great-grandson’s second birthdays.    It’s tradition  that the birthday person can select any birthday meal and my granddaughter chose meatloaf, mashed potatoes and Caesar salad…is there anything better when it’s homemade?   My contribution was the requested dessert – TURTLE CHEESECAKE  from the Cheesecake Factory.  It was a chocolate extravaganza, almost like eating a candy bar,  so sweet and heavy that I couldn’t consume even a quarter of a slice (especially after such a wonderful dinner.  I loved the flavor but it was just too rich for me. This cake truly deserves the title “Death by Chocolate.” After all that dense chocolate I thought my sweet tooth was satisfied for Valentine’s Day, but  I kept thinking about chocolate and finally gave in and made a CHOCOLATE CREAM ROLL.

Turtle Cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory

I have tried many recipes for chocolate cake rolls and there always seems to be some problem with them…heavy, cracks when rolled, too dry, crumbly…on it goes. I found this recipe on the KING ARTHUR FLOUR website and it has become one of my favorites.  It isn’t a fussy batter and is relatively easy to handle.  If it does crack a little bit the whipped cream acts like glue and you can just hold it with your hands as you roll up the cake.  Place the roll seam side down on a serving tray, gently press together any cracks, and frost with ganache.   I hadn’t intended to post this recipe so didn’t take any pictures of the rolling process, but it is the same as what I did in my post about making a STRAWBERRY WHIPPED CREAM ROLL. Its a very easy dessert to make and I think it’s so pretty on the platter and a slice is beautiful on a plate when garnished with a few fresh berries and a sprig of mint.  You can make many variations of this basic roll just by flavoring the cream filling with coffee or peppermint for example.  I add fruit during berry season and occasionally fill the cake with ice cream and add a drizzle of caramel and chopped pecans. If you haven’t made a cake roll I hope you will try it.  The cake is very forgiving and the frosting covers up any little mishaps.  It always gets nods of approval in my house and I’m sure it will in yours.

5.0 from 3 reviews

• 1 cup (8 ounces) heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • ½ cup (3 ounces) finely grated dark chocolate
  • CHOCOLATE GLAZE
  • ½ cup (4 ounces) heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons (1⅜ ounces) corn syrup, light or dark
  • 1 cup (6 ounces) chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, or chocolate chips
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick vegetable oil spray.
  2. TO PREPARE THE CAKE: In a large bowl, beat the eggs until thick and pale, then beat in the sugar, salt and vanilla. Sift together the flour, cocoa and baking powder, and fold gently into the egg mixture. Whisk together the oil and buttermilk, and fold in just until combined. Spread the batter onto the pan and smooth with a spatula. Bake the cake for 10 to 12 minutes, just until the top springs back when pressed gently.
  3. Remove it from the oven, let it cool in the pan for 1 to 2 minutes, then loosen the edges with knife. Turn out onto a tea towel lightly dusted with confectioners' sugar, roll up loosely (starting with a short end), and let cool completely.
  4. TO PREPARE THE FILLING: Stir together sugar and cream in a large bowl. Whip on high speed until soft peaks form, and fold in the grated chocolate. Refrigerate until needed.
  5. To prepare the glaze: Gently heat all of the ingredients until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes to thicken slightly.
  6. TO FINISH THE CAKE: Unroll the cake and spread with filling. Re-roll, and place seam-side down on serving plate. Trim edges for a clean appearance. Drizzle with chocolate glaze, using spoon or a squeeze bottle. If the glaze gets too thick for a squeeze bottle, gently reheat the glaze-filled bottle by setting it in hot water.

This post is linked to the fabulous FOODIE FRIDAY at Rattlebridge Farm.

Comments

I’m another one who can’t believe you are a great-grandmother!
    Those desserts put me in sugar overload just looking at them!

On my last visit to the Cheesecake Factory (for food, not cheesecake), a young couple sat down beside us. Each ordered a lovely slice of cheesecake and quickly consumed it. I thought they were there for dessert. No! They next ordered dinner!! Actually, I think they have their priorities straight!! This chocolate roll looks more to my taste than cheesecake. Glad you had a good time in the Windy City which is very windy today.

Bonnie recently posted..Chicken and Mushroom Miso SoupMy Profile

What a great trip, Cathy! That cheesecake gave me a toothache, just looking at it. Your chocolate roll looks like a Hostess Ho-Ho, on steroids. However, I have no doubt that yours is much better. King Arthur Flours never seem to fail. I made my first pumpkin roll (never posted it), and wondered to myself why I was so intimidated to do so. So easy! Aloha from Maui! Deb
    Foodiewife recently posted..Easy Broiled Lobster!My Profile

4. Happier Than A Pig in Mud says

I love it Cathy! Very similar to G-Mom-B’s Jelly Roll but in chocolate! I saved this to try-thanks:@)

5. Lynn says

Cathy this looks delicious, I pinned it to try later when I have company to help me eat it so I’m not tempted to eat it all myself!!

Oh my gosh….this looks incredible! I have always been afraid to try making one of these cakes. Thanks for the recipe. I wish I had a piece now:)
    Raina recently posted..ChiliMy Profile

Gorgeous!!! I’ve been in the mood for something just like this, Cathy! You read my mind! I always use the chocolate cake roll recipe from The Cake Bible but will definitely try this one next. Beautiful!
    Jamie recently posted..Assyrian Spinach PiesMy Profile

I loved making your strawberry cake roll and I know this one would be delicious. Yes, I too am floored that you are a great-grandmother. How fortunate for you to be able to enjoy these wonderful children as young as you are. Susan
    Susan recently posted..Stenciling the time awayMy Profile

I’ve never eaten a piece of the Turtle Cheesecake, and after your description, I better not. :)
    Your chocolate roll looks fabulous! I’ve made a pumpkin roll, but not chocolate or strawberry. Will have to try that.
    (I’m a great grandmother too! Scary, isn’t it?)
    Barbara recently posted..Risotto Pudding CakeMy Profile

This looks fabulous! I really must try this recipe, and soon!
    You know you must have been a child bride to account for having a 23 year old granddaughter…and 2 year old great grand! It is lovely that you are so young and vibrant and can enjoy them!xo
    Linda recently posted..Alton’s Buttermilk BiscuitsMy Profile

11. Debbie@Mountain Breaths says

This would be enjoyed very much in our household! I’m trying to recall when you are going to Paris again…soon?