Knorr Classic Spinach Dip

IMG_9780

When I graduated from high school in the early ’60’s I went right on to college at our local University, but by the end of my first year I met the person I thought was the man of my dreams and dropped out of school to get married…most of my friends did exactly the same thing… and it was considered perfectly normal for a girl to give up her dreams so her man could accomplish his.  During the next 15 years I had three darling children that kept me busy but I grew increasingly sad that I hadn’t finished my education so on New Year’s Day, 1979, I decided to return to school to get my degree.  As I’m sure many of you know, going to school and raising a family can be overwhelming, but I was fortunate to meet a great group of friends who happened to love cooking as much as I did.  We formed a gourmet dinner group that met regularly and every month selected recipes from Bon Appetit,  Gourmet Magazine and whatever other sources were available and we went crazy in the kitchen.  I had a growing family and entertained a lot so it was always a challenge to create something special.  There were no computers back then so I assembled notebooks of what I considered the best recipes.  It’s fun to pull them out of the closet every once in a while, especially at holiday time, and reminisce about those fun, creative, busy, exhausting days.

Knorr Spinach Dip

Dinner with the gourmet group always included appetizers of some kind, and one of the most popular back in “the day” was KNORR SPINACH DIP.   The recipe appeared on their Vegetable Soup Mix packages in the late 1970’s…I think…maybe earlier.   Have you ever tried this dip?  If you make it for a holiday party I can guarantee that you will have people asking for the recipe…it’s that good.  It couldn’t be easier to make:  chopped spinach, water chestnuts, sour cream and mayo, and a package of Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix.  Some current recipes include chopped green onions, but the original didn’t.  If you are thinking…”Why doesn’t she make this from scratch”…I assure you I have tried and it just doesn’t turn out the same.  The herb and spice blend in the mix adds great flavor that I just can’t duplicate.  If you have time make it a day ahead so the flavors can blend.

Knorr Spinach Dip

The classic way to serve this dip is in a toasted bread bowl.   Hollow out the bread, brush with olive oil and toast in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes until nicely browned.  Serve with toasted baguette slices.   Salty pretzel chips are also a delicious … carrot and celery sticks are good too.  I’ll be sharing more of my favorite recipes from the ’70 and ’80’s as we go through the holiday season.  I would have sworn that I posted many of these recipes in the past but it seems I didn’t…and it’s about time I did.

This post is linked to FOODIE FRIDAY at Rattlebridge Farm.
Thank you, Michael Lee, for being such a gracious “Hostess with the Mostess.”

Knorr Classic Spinach Dip

: 3 cups
  • 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
  • 1-1/2 cups sour cream
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 package Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix
  • 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, finely chopped
  • 3 green onions, finely chopped (optional)
  1. Squeeze as much liquid out of the thawed spinach as you can until it feels dry.
  2. In a medium bowl stir together spinach, sour cream, mayonnaise, soup mix, water chestnuts and green onions. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours and preferably overnight.
  3. Serve with bread, crackers or raw vegetables.
  4. Makes 3 cups

Comments

• says

It’s fun to dig out those old recipes and I think, by the comments that I’m getting, readers enjoy seeing them again. I think they will bring back lots of memories for many of us. Most of my old recipes aren’t fancy, but are great examples of good, made from scratch, home cooking.
      Cathy recently posted..Knorr Classic Spinach DipMy Profile

1. deb says

I made this a couple of weeks ago for a get-together we were having. Everyone loved it and amazingly, some had never had it!

• says

Graduation was one of the happiest days of my life, Val. When I got through all my math classes, especially advanced Statistics, I believed I could do anything. I can still see my family cheering for me in the audience. I get a little weepy when I think about it. What a great day!
      Cathy recently posted..Knorr Classic Spinach DipMy Profile

2. Kris says

Good morning Cathy. I certainly admire you for returning to school to finish your degree. I’m afraid I only have one semester of college under my belt. I married at 19 and had my first child shortly after. My husband had completed his degree before we married though, so at least one of us did!
    We too were part of a cooking club. So much fun. I miss it. Knorr Spinach Dip has always been a favorite in our house!!!
    Raining like Oregon here today! LOVE it!!
    xo Kris

I used to make KNORR SPINACH DIP for every party…we LOVED it back “in the day”. Like many, I haven’t made it for years because it is so easy to just buy containers of dip now days. You’ve not only shared but brought back some fond memories for me of the good old days.
    I intend to make this again very soon. Thanks for the nudge!
    Rettabug recently posted..♥♥ Mom Always Wore Aprons! ♥♥My Profile

Such memories! I first tasted this dip when I was in nursing school…in the early 80’s. You’re right, we ALL wanted the recipe…and I made it numerous times after that. I may have to make it for my next gathering…for old times sake.

This one is delicious and I remember making it back then too.
    Yes, I did the same thing. Quit school, got married, babies,
    and then back to school when I was 40. Oh am I glad I did it.
    Marilyn recently posted..HOPEMy Profile

Pretty much everything in your first paragraph parallels my life too, Cathy. (Although I graduated in the 50’s. And never did go back to school.) In our day, we all took cooking classes. Some of my favorite foods came from those corny old classes. We had a blast.
    Recipes like this one were passed around the neighborhood I lived in…everyone raved about this dip, and really, it can’t be beat. You’re right, it’s the first thing to go on the buffet table.
    Barbara recently posted..Brussel Sprouts with Parmesan and ProscuittoMy Profile

This dip is the best and it was so popular back in the day, why did we stop making it? I must look for a package of Knorr now, thanks for reminding those of us that remember it. Did you ever make the dip with Rotell and Velveta, how about chipped beef?? A blast from the past!
    Marie recently posted..A Few of my Favorite Thanksgiving SidesMy Profile

• says

Hi Debby – Y es, I did receive my degree and it was one of the happiest days of my life. My family was in the audience cheering me one. I have just that problem with this dip…I eat way too much of it. I just can’t help myself.
      Cathy recently posted..Knorr Classic Spinach DipMy Profile

What a wonderful story – and kudos to you for pursuing your dream. I so remember this dip – EVERYONE served it. I also remember the Onion dip – do you?! Thanks for a walk down memory lane – and oh, about those notebooks full of reciper-I’ve got them too. My husband says I ought tto scan them all into our computer, I think that is a fab idea – a project for a rainy day! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

What a wonderful story – and kudos to you for pursuing your dream. I so remember this dip – EVERYONE served it. I also remember the Onion dip – do you?! Thanks for a walk down memory lane – and oh, about those notebooks full of recipes-I’ve got them too. My husband says I ought to scan them all into our computer, I think that is a fab idea – a project for a rainy day! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

10. Ginger says

Does the spinach need to be cooked, I followed your recipe, and then as I was throwing away the Knorr package I saw the recipe on the back and it says to cook it.

• Susan Ritchie says

The package recipe now says to cook it. I’ve never noticed it saying that until this year. I like it better not cooked. It’s prettier.

11. Kathy says

I’ve been making Knorr’s Spinach Dip for years. I was disappointed when they added freeze dried peas to the soup mix. I painstakingly pick them out because the soup mix and recipe are so good!

I love this Spinach Dip, but I’ve never done it with Green Onions, I’ll have to try that! Found your blog from Pinterest and I can’t wait to check out the rest of it!

I am feeling proud for you Cathy. I have never seen anyone who have returned to complete his/her degree after 15 years. It is such a long time. Head off. I had tried this recipes from knorr.com when one of friend shared this with me. And even in every party I always cook because its prepare within 10min.
    Selvya recently posted..Beef Recipes Cooked With a Different StyleMy Profile