I’m finishing up the menu planning for Christmas morning brunch and have decided to make this delicious and very easy quiche. With its green spinach and red pimento it looks so festive and will be a beautiful and appetizing part of my buffet. This is a crustless quiche so you don’t have a soggy crust to worry about, and it can be served hot or at room temperature and can even be cooked, then refrigerated overnight and reheated in the morning. How easy is that!
Here are several good quiche tips: Spray the dish with a baking spray. The flour in the spray makes nicely browned edges and most people won’t even notice the absence of a traditional crust. Add the egg and cheese mixture to the baking dish and spoon the meat-vegetable mixture on top. Gently swirl with a knife so bits of the filling retain their color. It makes the quiche look so fresh, colorful and appetizing. This method keeps the ingredients evenly distributed. If the meats and veggies are put on the bottom of the dish that is where they stay.
Serve with a hearty salad (the recipe for this salad is coming soon), a fruit platter, and crusty bread. If I have a crowd I make several quiches with different fillings. Click HERE for another delicious combination of ingredients.
- 4 ounces Black Forest Ham, diced (any good ham will work)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon pimento, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 10 large eggs , lightly beaten
- ¾ cup plain non-fat Greek Yogurt
- 1-1/2 cups Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8 or 9-inch dish with baking spray or lightly grease with vegetable oil.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and green bell pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes, add garlic and red pepper flakes and saute another minute. Add spinach and cook just until spinach starts to wilt. Turn off heat and set aside. Spinach will continue to wilt.
- Place Greek yogurt in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Add eggs, two at a time, whisking after each addition until smooth. Add ham, grated cheese, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour egg mixture into prepared quiche dish. Top with spinach mixture. Gently blend with a fork.
- Bake in a preheated oven until eggs have set, about 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. This is also delicious served at room temperature. If it is refrigerated, wrap in foil and warm in a 325 degree oven for 8-10 minutes before serving.