Black Forest Ham and Gruyere Quiche

Ham and Gruyere Quiche

I’m finishing up the menu planning for Christmas morning brunch and have decided to make this delicious and very easy quiche.  With its green spinach and red pimento  it looks so festive and will be a beautiful and appetizing part of my buffet.   This is a crustless quiche so you don’t have a soggy crust to worry about, and it can be served hot or at room temperature and can even be cooked, then refrigerated overnight and reheated in the morning. How easy is that!

Ham and Gruyere Quiche

Here are several good quiche tips:  Spray the dish with a baking spray.  The flour in the spray makes nicely browned edges and most people won’t even notice the absence of a traditional crust.  Add the egg and cheese mixture to the baking dish and spoon the meat-vegetable mixture on top.  Gently swirl with a knife so bits of the filling retain their color.  It makes the quiche look so fresh, colorful and appetizing.  This method keeps the ingredients evenly distributed.  If the meats and veggies are put on the bottom of the dish that is where they stay.

Ham and Gruyere Quiche

Serve with a hearty salad (the recipe for this salad is coming soon), a fruit platter, and crusty bread.   If I have a crowd I make several quiches with different fillings.  Click HERE for another delicious combination of ingredients.

Ham and Gruyere Quiche

Black Forest Ham and Gruyere Quiche

Black Forest Ham and Gruyere Quiche

• 4 ounces Black Forest Ham, diced (any good ham will work)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • ½ cup onion, diced
  • ½ green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 tablespoon pimento, coarsely chopped
  • 6 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
  • 10 large eggs , lightly beaten
  • ¾ cup plain non-fat Greek Yogurt
  • 1-1/2 cups Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
  • ¼ cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
  • pinch red pepper flakes
  • Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8 or 9-inch dish with baking spray or lightly grease with vegetable oil.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and green bell pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes, add garlic and red pepper flakes and saute another minute. Add spinach and cook just until spinach starts to wilt. Turn off heat and set aside. Spinach will continue to wilt.
  3. Place Greek yogurt in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Add eggs, two at a time, whisking after each addition until smooth. Add ham, grated cheese, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Pour egg mixture into prepared quiche dish. Top with spinach mixture. Gently blend with a fork.
  5. Bake in a preheated oven until eggs have set, about 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. This is also delicious served at room temperature. If it is refrigerated, wrap in foil and warm in a 325 degree oven for 8-10 minutes before serving.

Comments

1. Ramona says

I’m not familiar with Gruyere cheese, could mozzarella be substituted?

This is beautiful and looks so appealing. Of course I bet the taste is out of this world.

• Cathy says

Gruyere is a type of Swiss Cheese so I think any Swiss would work. I like the nutiness with the ham. You can try mozzarella. I don’t think I have ever added it to a quiche. Let me know what you think if you use mozzarella. Happy Holidays. Thanks for your comment.
      Cathy recently posted..Black Forest Ham and Gruyere QuicheMy Profile

2. Kris says

That look wonderful! So pretty and festive for the holiday table. And delicious too. I make quiche quite often here, with the abundance of fresh eggs we have. I haven’t made one in a while though, and guess what will be going on the menu this week?
    xo Kris

3. Liz says

Yum! Bill would love this…as long as I don’t call it a quiche. Eggs, ham and cheese…can’t beat that. Perfect for Christmas morning :)

4. Adri says

Beautiful. I adore Gruyere, and black forest ham. I bet this is divine. And how great that you can do it ahead. Perfect! And do I see hazelnuts in that salad? I can’t wait… Happy Holidays to you and yours.

5. Sheila (Mrs. Magpie) says

Cathy, this is just what I was looking for, and I love the fact that it is crustless. I always love your special tips, too. Thanks! xo. Sheila

6. Suzanne says

Hi Cathy….I was going to ask you if you have ever made a quiche using mayo but then I saw you use low fat yogurt so the mayo question would probably make you gag :) But then again you use more eggs then I do…the mayo makes the quiche super creamy and then to make things worse…I love to make a cheddar cheese sauce to drizzle on top….it’s a heart attack just waiting to happen…..
    Suzanne recently posted..THE ULTIMATE CHRISTMAS HOUSE TOUR……”The Santamaker”My Profile

7. Jackie says

Made your quiche today and it came out just as the picture and it tasted as good as it looked. Followed your directions but when I put the quiche in the oven the parsley was still on the counter! Possibly missing parsley in your instructions?

8. jan says

Usually, I make a big pot of chili for our christmas meal. this year it is going to be quiche. I think I will be doing more of it and other variations.

9. Kathleen says

I have a ham, and I have some gruyere, so this is going on the menu! I have used mozzarella in quiche, but in addition to other cheeses. A bit of this and that! :). Right now I have a hankering for that onion potato galette you posted awhile back. And your mom’s stollen would be good too!
    Kathleen recently posted..Happy 2014~Let’s DishMy Profile